Illuminative Experiences

I REMEMBER A TIME of horrible confusion when I did not know whom or what I could trust. In a moment of despair, I confided in my mother that I no longer knew what the truth was. She replied without skipping a breath, “The only truth there is, is God’s love.”

An illuminative experience opens us to God’s truth. We know in those few minutes of transcending grace more than we knew only moments before. More than just head knowledge, it is knowing with the heart and with every cell of the body. We never forget this kind of knowledge because the memory attaches into our DNA. With the power of a religious conversion, an illuminative experience changes the way we perceive life. Nothing will ever be the same; nor do we want it to be.

– Karla M. Kincannon
Creativity and Divine Surprise

From page 162 of Creativity and Divine Surprise: Finding the Place of Your Resurrectionby Karla M. Kincannon. Copyright © 2005 by Karla M. Kincannon. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Have you had an illuminative experience? How did it change you? Share your thoughts.

And the LORD changed his mind about the disaster that he planned to bring on his people.
Exodus 32:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Jill October 11, 2017, 2:49 am

A few weeks ago – I had an illuminative experience, and I mentioned it here. It was recognition that I was desiring physical relief more than I was desiring God, His Presence and His Will to be done in my life. The level of weariness that I have experienced has been brand new. And Satan is so ready to bombard me when I am weary…an easy target. God’s grace is there, ready to scoop me up when I turn to Him. Thank You, Father. And following this awareness came a deeper understanding and desiring of His Sovereignty. Yes, Father – here’s my heart…speak what is true.
    Thinking of Rusty and K this morning. Father, surround them with Your Love and Comfort.

• Lou October 11, 2017, 3:16 am

Yes – the only truth is God’s love and Satan is so ready to deter us from this. Prayers for your relief and strength Jill- your faith is a model for us all and a blessing here. I too miss Rusty’s posts and pray that he and K are well.
    Prayers for healing and strength for all who come here today- prayers that God’s love touch all of you in special ways today. Prayers for grandparents and the special place they hold in our hearts.

• robert moeller October 11, 2017, 5:23 am

I’m not sure if I have had an illuminative experience. I think of the day I made a decision to commit to daily quiet time or the time when the thought that no one knows me better than God came. Somehow I think of an illuminative experience being like Wesley’s Aldersgate “heart warming.” I have had two experiences when I felt, recognized God’s presence, but I don’t know if these were illuminative experiences. They did strengthen my faith as the truth of the existence of God was confirmed, solidified.

A two day trip starts today. A quick visit to places Erich knows well, some shopping for items not available here, an overnight, and back home tomorrow. Lord, I pray for a safe trip down an back.

So thankful for this spiritual oasis and fellowship. Yes, I too miss Rusty and pray that he and K are in God’s hands. Healing, peace, God’s love, mercy, and grace be with each one of you who come to the UR and may it flow through you to all humankind that God’s will be done. Thank You, Lord

• Louise October 11, 2017, 5:56 am

I have been awakened by God many times in my life but I am not sure if they were illuminative experiences. “The only truth there is, is God’s love.” I believe this with all my heart. There have been times when I have been confused, scared, lonely and just did not know where to turn and God has shown me that he is there right by my side. With God by my side I never feel lonely anymore. I pray for all of you here at NR…you are all very special people. I pray for all that struggle mentally, physically, and spiritually may you find peace and know God’s love. God please help me to be the best version of myself that I can be today. Peace to all!

• Cherie October 11, 2017, 6:48 am

I guess my idea of an illuminated experience was when I was able to do my prayer walks each morning. God met me there. Prayers for all to reach a closeness with God. Love and Light!

• Joan October 11, 2017, 6:54 am

If you are in Minnesota, the vocal group Cantus is performing a program on just this theme, this weekend.

• Betsy October 11, 2017, 7:08 am

I suppose an illuminating experience that has stayed with me is after my Walk to Emmaus. Having grown up in a church, I knew how to “do church” and I was a believer. But my faith was stirred and strengthened after that weekend. Robert, I too committed myself to a more intentional devotional and prayer time after that. And then I found this wonderful website where I could learn from other devoted Christians. You all have become my prayer warriors and spiritual family. What a blessing as I continue my journey.

Jill, thank you for sharing through your physical struggle. Your clarity of faith is guiding you and will strengthen you. My prayers continue for you, Friend.
    Robert, safe travels this week. I continue to pray for you and your loved ones.
    Cherie, welcome to this place of love and acceptance. So glad that God meets you as you walk each morning. He is there for us in all places!

• Julie October 11, 2017, 8:00 am

Welcome to those are new to this wonderful group of faith filled believers and mentors. I have learned so much and grown in my spiritual understanding in ways I could never have accomplished without these wonderful, insightful aand truly kind people. I humbly thank you all.
    My illuminating experience first came during my lowest days of pain and despair. God helpedme see beyond myself to those who were aalso suffering, most more so than myself. Lost homes nd belongings, lost loved ones to violence, drugs, disease, etc. , those with cancer or paralyzed, those without access to healthcare,etc. So much suffering in this world and how God blessed I actually am. God has richly blessed me and I aam thankful. I saw my suffering as minor nd that God does love me and has me in His care always.
    Blessings and prayers for my fellow oasis dwellers

• Pam October 11, 2017, 9:10 am

Oasis- Love it! Well it is unanimous; all of us that know him have Rusty on our hearts today! I wonder if we can get in touch with him by email or anything! At any rate, I sure do hope he is feeling our prayers right now! Blessings!!

• Marcy October 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Yes, I agree, the only truth there is, is God’s love. I’m drawing a close connection in my mind between illuminating (illuminative) and enlightenment. That enlightenment came in many ways; I’ve looked back and realized how many dangerous instances in my past that I survived was only due to God’s presence. That’s literally the only explanation. Another way is the present difficulties are in part a result from those times and in part recovering from them. Through God alone I will not give up. Also, I’m mentally and spiritually illuminated by learning evermore obedience to God and this is ongoing. And this has led to deeper spiritual enlightenment. I’m reminded that “Jesus came not to destroy, but to fulfill” for all. I believe we can keep having illuminative experiences as we continue to read God’s Word and learn new things. How many times have I read verses more than once and suddenly “get it”? Instead of judging myself for not understanding earlier, I gladly welcome these truths as gifts from God. (Usually followed by a call to one or other of my Pastors).

Jill, I continue to pray for recovery for you through your treatments and God’s loving hands. Lou, praying and thinking of you as God heals your pains of all natures. Robert and Erich, yes, please God be with you in your travels and hope you can find time for enjoyment too. Louise, I’m happy God’s presence keeps you from loneliness and pray with you when you end your posts about God helping us to be the best version of ourselves that we can be today. I love that thought and goal! Betsy, I pray for your work with those so in need of help and healing. I agree that spending time with God on a daily basis before going to work fills you with the strength and wisdom to last through the day. At least that’s how I see you. It shows in your posts and I see possibilities in your words. Since I’m disabled, I spend more time, full days, most the time, in prayer and Bible reading. But even when I worked, I spent an hour or so at the start of my day, wasn’t always easy but I need God’s Word like I need to breathe! Prayers for Joan and Cherie, as you are welcomed here. Julie, you are always in my prayers and thank you for the insight of how blessed we really are. Pam, I join you in your prayers, along with others here, for Rusty and K. Hope they can be put in communication with you all in some way. I only saw a couple of posts from them and that was when I was just reading. I hope they’re able to read every now and then to see how much they are missed and prayed for.

Prayers for all here in the UR for each one of you and your families for God’s blessings and to keep you all safe and well. You’ve seen me through some really crazy times, at my wits end and still respond with such grace and acceptance. So grateful for this little piece of heaven to see us through good times and bad with God’s grace and love. Fervent prayers for every single soul impacted by hurricanes, earthquakes, rampant wildfires, violence and uncertainty in general around the world. Please, God, heal those struggling mentally, emotionally, physically and spirituality with the strength You provide. Thankful for medical treatments, procedures, surgeries and diagnostics and prayers for the doctors, nurses and lab technicians who perform them. Thank you, God, for providing these people in healthcare.

Whether we’re up or down, in the deep valley or on the mountain peak, let us rejoice in the Lord always. Hallelujah!

• Marcy October 11, 2017, 2:53 pm

P.S. Love that God put together such knowledgeable, Spirit-filled people in all of you. Truly appreciate what is learned and shared. God is Love….