Breath Prayer

Breath Prayer

Inhale: Lord, may I accept myself
Exhale: the way you created me.

– Whitney R. Simpson
Holy Listening with Breath, Body, and the Spirit

From page 37 of Holy Listening with Breath, Body, and the Spirit by Whitney R. Simpson. Copyright © 2016 by Whitney R. Simpson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s breath prayer. Share your thoughts.

Happy are those who observe justice, who do righteousness at all times.
Psalm 106:3, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Jill October 12, 2017, 3:09 am

A little tweak on my part…”Lord – I accept myself the way You created me.”
    Yes, none of this is a surprise to You; but, rather, a fulfillment of Your Will. I am all in.
    I thank all of you in this UR oasis for your prayers, words of encouragement and support. God surrounds us with what is necessary for the journey. I treasure your continued prayers.

• Louise October 12, 2017, 5:11 am

As we age knowledge and wisdom finds us. I wish I had the knowledge and wisdom that I have now back when I was young. I did not accept myself the way God created me. I was constantly comparing myself to others and feeling not good enough. As we all do I stumbled through life’s ups and downs sometimes thinking that I was an island not fitting in anywhere. Sometimes trying hard to build myself up but not having the confidence to believe that I was good and a look or a comment could destroy all the building up that I did. When I realized that I was good enough and accepted who I was my life changed. Wonderful people entered my life. They did not care that I was not perfect…they love me for who I am. God is good! He knows that I am a cracked pot not a beautiful perfect vase. God’s light shines through my cracks and reveals the true me. I am able to help others because of my cracks. I pray for all of you here at UR and all that are struggling mentally, physically, and spiritually. May God wrap his love and protection around you and help you find peace.

• Lou October 12, 2017, 5:48 am

Louise- your journey gives me hope. I once felt very happy. I now am at a place where I am going through the motions hoping to keep my life together. Everyday rheee are more challenges to face and admittedly I am tired. I do know that God is with me but in my fatigue it is sometimes hard to connect this knowledge with comfort and lean into him. The journeys shared here help me recognize that I am not alone in the struggles of this world. I come here seeking respite and I receive it in the faith filled stories and I know that God is love and I keep praying for relief. Peace to all who come here today seeking relief and reassurance that only God can give us lowly sinners.

• Marcy October 12, 2017, 8:38 am

Lou, I wondered if you’ve ever read a devotional called “Encouragement For Today”? I thought I’d go out on a limb and tell you about yesterday’s (Oct. 11, 2017). The writer’s name is Trace Miles and you came to my mind as I read it. Please let me know if is of any help to you, if you read it. I hope it’s okay to suggest it. We care so much for each other here and I just want to be helpful. God bless you.

• Cherie October 12, 2017, 7:09 am

This reflection is just what I needed today. I am at a low point and need the strength of knowing God loves me. Love and Light!

• Marcy October 12, 2017, 7:38 am

Cherie, please know that God is with you right now and comforting you, loving you and uplifting your soul. Whatever you are going through, if it’s a family issue, a state of mind or heart, or a physical issue, our Loving Comforter, never leaves us nor forsake us. I’m praying you will find peace from our Father. God bless and keep you close.

• Julie October 12, 2017, 7:42 am

I, too, was more self assured when I was younger. Many circumstances haave disrupted my self image and made me question my self worth and love worthiness. I know that God loves me, but that has yet to translate to self love or self worth.
    Prayers and blessings to all who have found this group of loving supporters. Welcome to the newer posters, Cherie, praying for you and for God to strengthen you. You have found a group of individuals who allow you to gather strength from them. I pray for you to feel the wonderful strength and power thaat dwells here.

• Marcy October 12, 2017, 10:02 am

Yes, (as I take a deep breath in), Lord, may I accept myself
    (as I release breath slowly) the way You created me.
    Repeat.

I will be who God created me to be through my troubles and He is leading me on the thorny road for reasons that He will make clear to me. Maybe He will use these many testings to make new believers. It is His will, not mine. This truly wonderful UR family is teaching me how to better understand perspectives of God’s Holy Word. I know and believe that God’s acceptance is paramount and the most important. I’ve been a witness to this here at the website repeatedly. So grateful for your kindness and gentleness to me and each other.

I continue to pray for each of you individually and as a group. I’m thankful God led us here together. I’m praying for all here in the UR family and beyond for mental, emotional, physical and spiritual healing through our Almighty God. Praying also for all traumatized and in need as a result of hurricanes, earthquakes, wildfires, violence and poverty.

And I remember to rejoice in the Lord always! I say it again, rejoice!

• Marcy October 12, 2017, 11:10 am

My friends in God, I was hesitating about bringing this up, but today is the day I was married in 1991. I waited until I was older to marry and it still backfired in spectacular fashion. Although he cannot get to me physically where he is, on this day, I still have nightmarish memories of the abuse in several forms I suffered. I am still not divorced from him because of money issues and am working hard on forgiveness and willingly pray for him. I am recovering and stay upbeat and positive on this issue, but I still feel fear. Am still working on my self esteem and in my earlier post hopefully shows I’m making progress with God’s love and healing. I would welcome any feedback that anyone feel could be beneficial. If not, maybe just an extra prayer. Thank you for listening in any case. Blessed be!

• Connie October 13, 2017, 8:45 am

It IS a very scary thing to go through. I understand the “self-esteem” part, but it will be restored in time. Prayers.

• Marcy October 13, 2017, 2:01 pm

Thank you so very much, Connie, for your prayers and understanding. Yes, it didn’t happen overnight and won’t be restored overnight. The journey goes on, but painful.