Live in the Now

TO LIVE IN THE NOW is to live in separate compartments. When you go to work, be completely focused on the job. Put all home thoughts away. It will be a continual, conscious putting away. When you catch yourself drifting back to home concerns, say to yourself, “I won’t think about that now. I’ll think about it when I get home.”

Do the same thing at home. Put work thoughts away in their own compartments. If you must bring actual work home with you, set aside a specific time and place (not in the family room where all the home-related action is) to do work-related activities. …

My children found my method of compartmentalizing worries frustrating. They couldn’t get me in a dither about an issue that needed an answer next month. I would mentally decide when I needed to make a decision and I’d say, “Don’t ask me about that now. Ask me next Friday (or next week or next year).” I’d let it go and not worry about it until then. How did I do it? I kept reminding myself, “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough troubles of its own” (Matt. 6:34, NIV).

– Patricia Wilson
When You Come Unglued

From pages 75-76 of When You Come Unglued … Stick Close to God by Patricia Wilson. Copyright © 2007 by Patricia Wilson. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What you find compartmentalizing helpful? Share your thoughts.

“The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding banquet for his son.”
Matthew 22:2, NRSV

This Week: pray for grandparents. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Francis of Assisi, October 4).

• Julie October 15, 2017, 7:23 am

This is a lovely thought process and manner of dealing with all of life’s concerns. I would at least like to attempt to practice this manner of living with all of the many issues in my life.
    Prayers and blessings to all of the UR readers and posters. Still unsure about church and not attending. I would like to go but not at my old church. I tried several prior to finding that one and never felt at ease in any. So in a conundrum.

• Pam October 15, 2017, 12:45 pm

I can relate, Julie! I visited a new Church every other week when I was searching for a new “home”. Sometimes I felt comfortable enough to visit the same Church over (and again) and sometimes I let The Holy Spirit move me to sit quietly ALONE and listen to Sermons on line! That is how I found THIS Fellowship of Believers!

• Julie October 15, 2017, 5:57 pm

Thank you so much Pam. I watch a sermon on TV. I really enjoy the messages and the format. But, after reading some of the comments here I felt I was shortchanging my spiritual growth. Your words encourage me to acknowledge that this form of worship is appropriate for me now.

• robert moeller October 15, 2017, 7:56 am

Thankful today is Sunday and I’m going to church. I very much miss it when I don’t go.

To some extent I do what is described in today’s reflection based on that scripture. Perhaps I am not as rigid and I may not have as many compartments. It is very helpful and eases tension. God has seen me through and I’m very thankful for that.

Blessings to all who come to the UR and those who are yet to come. The UR is a spiritual hotspot. Through sharing, prayers, exchange of ideas and understanding we have all come closer to each other and to God. Thank You, Lord.

• Connie October 15, 2017, 8:10 am

I don’t know if this is compartmentalizing, but I don’t like to visit and re-visit problems that really don’t have a solution. Going over and over distressing situations wear me out! Health issues, losses, etc. yes, but not re-hashing inconsequential ones that I have no control over…no.

• Darr Sigilman October 15, 2017, 10:36 am

I think that there is marit to this idea, but I also think that sometimes it good to talk about work concerns at home in the context of getting advice from family members about solving work related issues. I have, for example, gotten useful advice about how to relate to other employs and how to deal with situations that I would otherwise have found impossible to live with.

• Marcy October 15, 2017, 5:17 pm

This compartmentalization was talked about in the counseling group that I attended every day for six weeks last fall and then a different “self-help” type of weekly group that went on for nine months. This did and didn’t help me. There were things that needed to come out of the compartment and be dealt with for me. That compartmentalization was detrimental to me because it was a form of survival mode and because it was in it’s place, I thought I’d made it through okay. Wrong! Now, I know this is different for everyone and used correctly, it is beneficial. I didn’t complete the counseling because most of the other group members were vehemently non-Christian and since my faith is such a large part of who I am, this hindered my progress. I was there for counseling, “not to argue my beliefs”, as these other group members told me. I wasn’t evangelizing there, it wasn’t the place for it. I was unable to join in without ever mentioning God because He was in a lot of my answers. I felt guilty about this and these other group members were very hostile so I was unable to continue.

Now this book suggested today, “When You Come Unglued – – Stick Close to God” by Patricia Wilson is faith-based. I looked it up and there are exercises listed that sound very encouraging. Tomorrow when I have my first faith-based counseling appt one on one, I’ll ask what my counselor thinks about the book, if she’s heard about it, and should I wait to see what she has planned. I’d like to purchase it. My Pastor said he will drive me if my eyesight is still impaired like it has been.
    Also, I don’t know if any of you saw my second post on Friday, but due to circumstances beyond my control, (insurance ride transportation) I was unable to get to that very important neurologist appt I had been so blessed to have gotten earlier than Nov. 29th. Now I have to wait until October 30th and am praying I don’t have another five to ten day migraine between now and then. I’m also having trouble swallowing and some other symptoms that concern me. Sometimes, having been a healthcare worker gives me knowledge I wish I didn’t have!

Thank you for your patience and for listening. Thankful for your prayers. I continue to pray for each one of you individually and as a group and any who may be reading here in the UR family. Please, Lord, watch over and bless all in need and be their strength. Grateful for Your affectionate love to all and for heaven that awaits us. Praise the Lord for the support He supplies here!

Rejoice in the Lord always! In the depths of the valley or on the peak of the mountain, I say it again, Rejoice!

• robert moeller October 17, 2017, 4:46 am

Prayers for help with your eyesight. I think your spiritual vision is wonderful.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 16, 2017, 9:15 am

Im quite a focused person and do not like to multi task. So i do not worry about work when im at home but sometimes im grieved by what happened at work or how my students behave. Somehow, i’ll pray about it and i felt better after that.

Grateful that as children of God, we can let go and commit to God what trouble or grieve us.

Thank you God for the privilege of Prayer!

• Gerri October 16, 2017, 10:22 pm

I wish that I could compartmentalize easily. I find it difficult to do and maintain. When I find myself beginning to worry about plans or events of the future,I decide to let go and let God. He really shows me how to prioritize. The next step is for me to simply trust and obey his guidance. The Lords’ counsel is perfect in what is needed in the moment.

• robert moeller October 17, 2017, 4:50 am

I agree, there are times to compartmentalize and times to take our concerns to God who always knows best. Sometimes God has us compartmentalize, today’s worries are enough for today.