Silence and Listening, Sharing and Service

A LIFE WITH GOD is a life in which the rhythms of silence and listening alternate with the rhythms of sharing and service. By praying with every part of who we are, the grace that pours from the well of living water trickles through all the aspects of our being, nourishing and hydrating that which was parched and diseased.

– Daniel Wolpert
Creating a Life with God

From page 159 of Creating a Life with God: The Call of Ancient Prayer Practices by Daniel Wolpert. Copyright © 2003 by Daniel Wolpert. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How is God working through you in this moment? Share your thoughts.

[God] said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
Exodus 33:14, NRSV

This Week: pray for community leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Ignatius of Antioch (October 17).

• Louise October 16, 2017, 4:01 am

At this moment in my life God is helping me to be silent more and to be a better listener. Both of my children were married last year and are getting use to married life. They still come to my husband and I for advice but I have to silence myself and listen and know when to share my opinion and when to keep my mouth shut and allow them to make decisions together with their spouses and learn on their own. Praying with every part of who I am helps. (Grace that pours from the well trickles through every aspect of our being nourishing and hydrating that part that was parched and diseased.) These words are beautiful! I believe that by following God and praying with every part of who I am I will be nourished and hydrated. I pray for All of the wonderful people here at UR. I pray that you will be nourished and hydrated. I pray for all who are struggling mentally, physically, and spiritually that they will find peace. God help me the to be the best version of myself that I can be.

• robert moeller October 16, 2017, 4:32 am

Today’s reflection says a lot in two sentences. I’m very much in agreement with the author and with Louise. At this very moment reading and writing in response to this reflection I’m absorbing, understanding and replying to God’s message. I am a willing listener, reader, and writer. May my understanding result in sharing and service that accomplishes God’s purpose.

At a time when leadership is more important than ever, prayers for community leaders and everyone in a leadership position is essential.
    Thank You, Lord, that prayer is always possible. No appointment is ever necessary. You always hear our prayers and Your response is always best.

A hymn we sang Sunday speaks a lot about love and compassion. Love divine, all loves excelling . . . Joy of heaven to earth come down . . . Jesus, Thou art all
    compassion, Pure unbounded love Thou art.

I join Louise in praying for “all who are struggling mentally, physically, and spiritually that they will find peace.” God be with you till we meet again.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 16, 2017, 6:59 am

God is working on my faith. For some time, my faith is quite shatttered.
    today, i brought my mum to the polyclinic for her check up. Somehow, it is very difficult to wake my mum up and even when she was awake, she does not seem to want to get up from the bed. Today’s check up includes fasting for blood test, etc. When she finally got up from bed she told me that she is dizzy. So i thought maybe we would skip the fasting and blood test. When we reached the polyclinic, very quickly she could see the doc and i explained to the doc the difficulty of getting my mum to fast, etc. The doc was very understanding and said from now on, my mum does not need the blood test. After all, the blood pressure is normal and she is in excellent health. And the best news is she only needs to see the doc in 9 months’ time. Usually it is 6 months. Also, we managed to get a cab very quickly to get home.

Praise God for His goodness and loving kindness!

• Connie October 16, 2017, 8:28 am

Mary, God bless you. You are so important to us. Bless your Mom also.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 16, 2017, 8:37 am

Thanks so much Connie!

You are such a blessing and encouragement to me!

God bless you snd your family too!

• Marcy October 16, 2017, 9:13 am

Mary, been praying for you and now will be sure to include your Mom. I’m glad things worked out with her appointment and it is really good to have an understanding doctor. I’ve missed your posts, and I think the best of us go through faith struggles in our lifetime. Even Mother Teresa! May God continue His work in and through us all and I pray He does so for you now in your time of need. God’s love overcomes everything! Bless you, Mary!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 16, 2017, 9:41 am

Thanks so much Marcy!

May God bless you and your family!

• Jill October 16, 2017, 7:11 am

I am very much in agreement with what the author says. My time in the morning, the nourishment I get from prayer, time in His Word, meditation is carried out in the remainder of my day. Due to my current circumstances, I have had to cut down on some of my activities. There is a hollowness where service used to be. However, I must be patient and trust that in His timing, I will be able to return to opportunities to serve Him. So far, I have been able to maintain going to my 2 small groups and the support and sharing that occurs on these evenings is so good for my soul. While I am sacrificing physical rest by doing these, God’s grace sees me through and the emotional and spiritual nourishment is so welcome.
    I have made getting through the teaching day my priority and giving 100% of what I have on any given day to my students. I feel as though I am beginning to acclimate physically to medication and what my limitations are, and accepting and agreeing to live within those boundaries. This is untrodden ground for me, as my body has always responded to my physical activities well.
    Blessings to all who pause here – may you be refreshed for this new week.

• Connie October 16, 2017, 8:34 am

May your strength be restored to you. You are needed by many and it is hard when you are not feeling up to par to accomplish goals, but you will persevere, I know. Caring and praying.

• Julie October 16, 2017, 7:49 am

I agree with you Louise. I have learned, and am still learning, when to be silent and when to speak. Especially, where my daughter is concerned. As parents, I believe it is very difficult to navigate this fine line. But recognizing this also helps me to understand God and His ways a smidgen more. As our Heavenly Father, there are times when He is silent and allows us to navigate the storms oof life for our own growth. This has helped with my patience and acceptance of life in both good and bad circumstances.
    Blessings and prayers for a successful and God filled week for all.
    You are all in my thoughts throughout the day.

• Connie October 16, 2017, 8:36 am

How is God working through me today? He is near.

• Marcy October 16, 2017, 9:27 am

God is working through me as I get out today to take care of backlog of things that have been neglected lately. I’m looking forward to my first appt with my faith-based counselor today. Please, Lord, let my eyesight be clear today so I drive safely.

Thankful for your prayers here in the UR family and I continue to pray for of you here, individually and as a group, reading or posting. God, please heal those with mental, emotional, physical and spiritual issues here and beyond. Thank you, Lord for the love and support among us gathered here.

Still rejoicing in the Lord always! From the valley to the mountaintop and everywhere in between. Rejoice!

• Andrea October 16, 2017, 12:02 pm

I too have struggles with my faith from time to time. I am thankful for the grace that nourishes and hydrates my being when I am in need. I am grateful for my speech therapist who is helping me to learn to breathe more effectively. Prayers for all my UR friends, for the needs you express and for the people you name.
    ” Be Thou my vision.”

• Gerri October 16, 2017, 10:39 pm

I hope I am helping a friend learn that they are appreciated and loved by being there for them as they have been for me.

• Marcy October 17, 2017, 6:22 pm

Gerri, I’m sure you are not only being helpful, but also a source of strength for your friend. This is an example of how one can be a wonderful blessing to another and each other in reciprocation! God bless you!