Righteousness

RIGHTEOUSNESS is a good word to use in naming our deepest longings. The word Jesus used means “rightness,” “fairness,” “to be in right relationship with God and other people.” Those who “hunger and thirst for righteousness” want to be right in character and action. Those who are righteous are doing things rightly—as they ought to be done. They are in the right in what they do, what they say, what they love. To open ourselves to God and acknowledge our hunger for righteousness, therefore, means opening ourselves to be changed, to have our affections and our actions changed.

– Mary Lou Redding
Power of a Focused Heart

From pages 54-55 of The Power of a Focused Heart: 8 Life Lessons from the Beatitudes by Mary Lou Redding. Copyright © 2006 by Mary Lou Redding. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How do you define “righteousness?” Share your thoughts.

But,” [God] said, “you cannot see my face; for no one shall see me and live.”
Exodus 33:20, NRSV

This Week: pray for community leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Ignatius of Antioch (October 17).

• Jill October 17, 2017, 3:36 am

Righteousness – wholly and holy cleanness which manifests in actions that bring God’s Kingdom to fruition. A clothing, by His Spirit, that transforms our inner darkness, through grace, to utter white purity.
    Thanks be to God.

• Connie October 17, 2017, 7:55 am

Beautiful.

• Louise October 17, 2017, 5:17 am

Jill you defined righteousness perfectly.
    God guide me and help me to be the best version of myself that I can be. Peace to all.

• robert moeller October 17, 2017, 6:47 am

Jill, that’s a great understanding. I don’t have the ability to write that. I like this from the reflection. The word Jesus used means “rightness,” “fairness,” “to be in right relationship with God and other people.” You took that to another level. Thankfully, when we fail, and fail we will, Jesus is there to help us be righteous before God.

Thankful for a warm house on a chilly 26 degree morning. Our first really hard frost cane last night.

Prayers for all who are challenged, stretched, hurt emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually. In this world we will have problems, but Jesus and the Holy Spirit are there to help us. Thank You, Lord.

Glad to read that Mary’s Mum is doing well.

This week in the area where my family is from in Germany is the Lullusfest.
    It celebrates Lullus, a co-missionary with Boniface, who founded Hersfeld, now Bad Hersfeld, in the 700s. Both were responsible for Christianizing
    large areas of Germany. Lolls’ greetings to you all.

For a while, when I was between churches, I too watched services on tv. Thankfully there is that possibility. What I found missing was fellowship.
    I am hopeful that the UR provides the fellowship needed for all believers.

Prayers that you all have the day God intended for you.

• Marcy October 17, 2017, 8:01 am

Yes, Robert, the UR is a wonderful chapel we can attend daily. So very thankful and grateful to God for the UR family and it’s provision of God’s love to many, reading or posting.

• Connie October 17, 2017, 7:53 am

To me righteousness means goodness, with God’s hand directing us and helping us to achieve it. We slip, we fall, we try again!

• Marcy October 17, 2017, 7:54 am

Amen to that, Connie!

• Marcy October 17, 2017, 7:53 am

Yes, Jill, I’m in agreement with Louise and Robert, that you put into words what I felt from this morning’s reflection perfectly. For me, this is something I strive for every day and with leading from God, I continue to do so. Thank you for your ability to define in words so many things I struggle with.

Robert, how interesting to read about Lullus and Lullusfest. I’ll have to read more about it.

Yes, prayers for all struggling with mental, emotional, physical and spiritual issues, that God continues to walk alongside us. Stretched is a good way to describe this. Thankful for all prayers offered here in the UR family. And prayers for all dealing with loss and destruction in their many forms.

I had a rough day yesterday, with counseling and just physically not able to get much done. Difficulty just returning home. This new counseling is going to be extremely helpful in my road to recovery and have and very grace-filled counselor. Thanks be to God.

Rejoicing in the Lord always, from the valleys or the mountaintops. Rejoice!

• Julie October 17, 2017, 8:02 am

Righteousness is a continual striving towards Jesus and a continual seeking of His truths in His words and teachings and ultimately to use His life as a model for one’s own behavior. It is a heart that wants to give and not receive, especially to give support and encouragement and never speak or do that which will cause pain to other people or to our Heavenly Father.
    I do receive fellowship here at the UR and I thank you all. At church, I never felt as welcome as I do here. My thoughts and input were never appreciated or wanted. I never learned so much and I attended multiple Bible study groups. I thank you all so very much for the reception I received here.
    Blessing, gratitude, and praayers for all of my friends here at the UR. You are priceless and selfless and righteous.

• Andrea October 17, 2017, 2:51 pm

Yes, God calls me to righteousness over and over. As I have matured, I see that God’s wisdom is the grace that keeps me afloat when times are difficult, the grace that steers me when I am lost or in peril. From Psalm 42: ” I have called you in righteousness. I have taken you by the hand and kept you.” This passage is part of my Lectio Divina and it is very near and dear to my heart.

Prayers for my dear UR friends, those who post and those who come simply to read. “God has taken you by the hand and kept you….”

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 17, 2017, 2:57 pm

Righteousness is doing what is right and the prayers of the righteous prople are effective.

May God help us to do whst is right!

Blessings to all!