Breathing the Name of God

EVERY TIME YOU BREATHE you express the name of God. [“I Am,” which is written with four Hebrew consonants, AHYH. When you pronounce the name God gave to Moses, you make the sound of breathing, You draw in a breath, EH, and you exhale YH, which sounds like yuh.]

The first sound a newborn makes is the name of God. The obstetrician listens for it. It comes first as a cry. Everyone thrills with the first sign that the baby can breathe. The last sound a dying person makes before leaving this earth is the name of God.

I find it profoundly meaningful that every mammal on earth begins and ends life pronouncing the name of God. It does not matter what theology I hold, I automatically, many times every day, say the name of God. Even if I am unconscious, I am constantly giving expression to the name of my Creator. There is never really any doubt about whose I am. I am because I belong to I AM. My existence is a gift from the One who is the source of all.

– J. David Muyskens
Sacred Breath

From page 46 of Sacred Breath: Forty Days of Centering Prayer by J. David Muyskens. Copyright © 2010 by J. David Muyskens. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

As you begin prayer time today, become aware of your breath. Share your thoughts.

The LORD is king; let the peoples tremble! He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake!
Psalm 99:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for community leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Ignatius of Antioch (October 17).

• Jill October 18, 2017, 2:50 am

Father – You are with us in each breath. You are near, I need to bring my awareness.
    Grateful for brilliant sunshine on these Fall days.

• Louise October 18, 2017, 4:48 am

The thought that when we breath God is with us in each breath is so comforting. It brings peace. The first sound a baby makes, the last sound a dying person makes is the name of God. People around us are breathing God’s name. He walks amoung us.
    I pray that those who suffer physically, mentally, and spiritually find peace. I pray for all here at UR. I pray for energy today. God please help me to be the best version of myself that I can be.

• Gerri October 18, 2017, 5:04 am

Dear Lord, You are the breath You give me every second. I am humbled and thankful. Amen

• robert moeller October 18, 2017, 5:13 am

Never to old to learn something new. We owe our life to God. Thank You, Lord. Will be off to heart rehab soon, another blessing from the Lord.

Be lifted up to the Lord, a living sacrifice, offering to the Creator and the One who keeps us from falling. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

• Francesca October 18, 2017, 6:01 am

Spirit of the living God, fall afresh on me . . .on us. I thank God for the reassurance that He is there with every breath. Got a new student yesterday who was crying. Her mother told her that whenever she felt bad to say a prayer. I told her I would be praying too. I don’t care if it’s a public school. These children need the “breath” of God.
    Thank you UR friends for all of your enlightening posts.

• Lou October 18, 2017, 6:11 am

You are a wonderful and caring teacher for your students – keep praying for them- you are a great model for them.

• Francesca October 20, 2017, 5:52 am

Thanks so much for your encouraging words.

• Lou October 18, 2017, 6:10 am

Thank you all for the posts this morning-
    I too found comfort in this reading – that the name of God surrounds us – that we begin and end with God – all of us. Thanks be to God – the One who shows us the way-
    Peace to all who come here today –

• Marcy October 18, 2017, 9:36 am

Lou, I have been praying for you and have been checking for your posts. Good to hear from you. I join you in being thankful for all posts today. I continue to ask for God’s leading, with each breath I take. Blessings to you.

• Andrea October 18, 2017, 7:10 am

To think we pray with every breath we take is a wonderful realization. I will strive to be mindful of God’s name with every breath. This is timely since I am recommended to do breathing exercises at the top of each hour. I can already feel improvement in oxygenation and energy. I still have some difficulty with occasional cough spasms when I talk, but the exercises and other modifications are helping me to get it under control. I was never a smoker so I am surprised to have this vocal cord dysfunction issue and very thankful it was diagnosed by a wonderful doctor who took her time assessing me and referred me to an ENT doctor and a speech therapist. I give thanks for compassionate, unhurried physicians and their support staff.

I too am grateful for the glorious beauty of autumn. We have beautiful fall weather here in the upper midwest.

Praying for UR friends. May you gave a blessed day in your walk with God.

• Julie October 18, 2017, 8:02 am

One thing that has always amazed me here is that each individual takes note of a different part of each reading. As they reflect on that part in their post I learn so much. I noticed that the author stated that each mammal speaks God’sname as they breath. This statement is reminiscent of scriptures, Psalms in particular, which state tht the whle of creation worship the Lord.
    Blessings and prayers my friends

• Marcy October 18, 2017, 10:02 am

Thank you, Lord, for being more aware of you as I breathe in Your Word. May I be ever more mindful of Your presence with each breath I take.

I pray for our leaders in our country and around the world, that God’s wisdom and compassion work in and through them.

Appreciate wise and diverse comments made here among the UR family, thankful for your prayers and pray for each of you, individually and as a group, posting or reading.

I’ve been trying to perservere through severe physical issues while continuing to rejoice in the Lord. Almost went to the ER on Monday, am still unwell today and am seeing my primary today. I’m praying for relief from many issues, so I may serve our Father God in encouraging and helpful ways.

Am ever faithful, hopeful and ask for God’s guidance in conveying the love that He has imbued in me. Wish to be more the me God wants me to be.

Blessings and love to all here and beyond.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 19, 2017, 10:00 pm

Yes, Lord, my existence is a gift from the One who is the source of all.

Thank you God for the gift of life and good health to enjoy it!