BLESSING

WE ARE CALLED, in this broken world, to open ourselves to the beauty that persists. To allow ourselves to see and to be stunned.
May you move through this day
with eyes open to the God
who shines like the sun
within and around you.

– Jan L. Richardson
In the Sanctuary of Women

From page 38 of In the Sanctuary of Women: A Companion for Reflection & Prayerby Jan L. Richardson. Copyright © 2010 by Jan L. Richardson. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s blessing. Share your thoughts.

“Tell us, then, what you think. Is it lawful to pay taxes to the emperor, or not?”

Matthew 22:17, NRSV

As you begin prayer time today, become aware of your breath. Share your thoughts.

The LORD is king; let the peoples tremble! He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake!
Psalm 99:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for community leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Ignatius of Antioch (October 17).

• Julie October 21, 2017, 11:14 am

It is a beautiful day here, thank you God.
    Blessings to all who visit this group of supportive and loving believers.

• Louise October 21, 2017, 12:00 pm

Focus my eyes God so that I will see what you want me to see. Help me to hear what you want me to hear. Guide me and help me to be the best that I can be for You. I pray for all who suffer and need to find peace. I pray for all the needs of the beautiful people here at UR. It is a beautiful day…let us rejoice and be glad.

• robert moeller October 21, 2017, 1:31 pm

Yes, Lord may You flow through us that we can be the light of the world. We most seriously need You. There are so many problems, concerns, issues. We are overwhelmed if we try to resolve them ourselves. With You, Your guidance, wisdom, and strength, more than we are able to imagine can and will be done.

Prayers for all on this lovely weather day. Cool but beautiful.

• Andrea October 21, 2017, 2:34 pm

“WE ARE CALLED, in this broken world, to open ourselves to the beauty that persists.” Thank you, Jan Richardson. These words so resonate with me. Through my own personal difficulties, as well as through conflicts and suffering on a larger scale – poverty, racism, and other social injustices; political discord and war – beauty persists. Sometimes, I look at a beautiful night sky, or a vivid sunset, and it seems God is saying “Here I am.” In the smile of a child, in the kindness of a stranger, in a beautiful symphony, in an amazing coincidence… beauty persists and God says Here I am.” Again, I think of the Navajo prayer, I walk in beauty.” May I hold onto this perspective through difficult times. May I brighten someone’s day.

• Marcy October 21, 2017, 4:53 pm

Thank you, Andrea, for your words and your reflection on the words of the author. I’m overwhelmed the last few days physically mainly, but also mentally. Can hardly see through the pain. My hope is ever alive within me, am grateful for your “brightening” of it today. Blessings, Andrea♡

• Andrea October 21, 2017, 10:18 pm

Marcy, I am grateful to know you were uplifted by my words. My prayers for you.

• Jean October 21, 2017, 8:32 pm

The sharing that occurs here brings me back again and again, as well as the timely and beautiful reflections from so many compassionate authors. Each of you, “brighten my days” as you honestly share your struggles, heartaches, yet your recognition of God’s presence amidst it all. You, certainly, encourage me on my faith journey especially when I experience doubts and discouragement along the way.

Each of your words today are ones that I needed to read. Louise, I would like to make your prayer my prayer each day. Thank you for sharing.

I have told others how much good I find on this site. A significant part of that is your goodness and faithfulness. Your willingness to share
    your belief in God’s grace and loving presence through good times and bad is well worth your efforts even when you have no idea of whom you have touched. I know you have touched me and continue to do so. Thank you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 22, 2017, 12:24 am

Yes, Lord, may we move through this day with eyes open to the God
    who shines like the sun within and around you.

Blessings to all and have a great week ahead!