Rest in the Knowledge of God’s Love

GRACIOUS LORD, God of light and glory, you are the beauty I seek and the power to whom I entrust my life: enable me to rest in the knowledge of your love and care so that through the witness of my life, others might come to know you as you truly are. Amen.

– Paul Wesley Chilcote
A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit

From page 155 of A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit by Paul Wesley Chilcote. Copyright © 2008 by Paul Wesley Chilcote. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

But Jesus, aware of their malice, said, “Why are you putting me to the test, you hypocrites?

Matthew 22:18, NRSV

As you begin prayer time today, become aware of your breath. Share your thoughts.

The LORD is king; let the peoples tremble! He sits enthroned upon the cherubim; let the earth quake!
Psalm 99:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for community leaders. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Ignatius of Antioch (October 17).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling October 22, 2017, 12:28 am

Yes, Lord, enable us to rest in the knowledge of your love and care so that through the witness of my life, others might come to know you as you truly are.

Blessings to all!

• Louise October 22, 2017, 3:30 am

I entrust my life to God and pray that I will be the best that I can be with His guidance and love. I am looking forward to going to mass today and helping the poor through our food ministry. I am also looking forward to time with family after a rememberence mass for a deceased family member. God bless us all with your love and peace.

• Jill October 22, 2017, 3:55 am

Yes, Father – Your love and care…Your providence, Your sovereignty. Through all of these, You have deepened my understanding of You, and of myself, as well. I lean into You more, need to draw from You more. Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way.
    Prayers for your family, Louise, as you gather to remember.

• robert moeller October 22, 2017, 6:17 am

The thought expressed so well by Paul Wesley Chilcote is my wish, not just for me, but for everyone. Lord, may it be so. Thank You, Lord, for the witness, testimony of Jill, Louise, and Mary. God’s peace be with you, Louise, as you remember your family. Hope your treatment and change in diet is helping you, Jill.

Good news for Erich, he starts work today and there is health insurance. He has recovered from problems with his skin and is ready to go. Thank You, Lord. My heart will be checked with an ECHO test this coming week, heart rehab is a good program, I’m thankful for it and the ability to walk almost every day.

Blessings to all, may you have a spirit filled Sunday.

• lou October 22, 2017, 8:00 am

Help me to trust only in You Lord. The things of this world will pass- but You are the one true thing that will always remain. Prayers for all who come here today looking for love and peace – You are the way Lord. Thankful for all who offer prayers of encouragement and strength.
    Blessings to all.

• Andrea October 22, 2017, 10:44 am

“You are the beauty I seek and the power to whom I entrust my life.” “I walk in beauty.”

The leaves are in full glorious color. I will be sure to take a walk today. My walks are often a time of prayer and my UR friends will be on my heart.

Yesterday, my husband and I spent a full day at a genealogical workshop on DNA testing. I would like to learn more about my Armenian grandfather’s family tree. All records of the Armenians, Christians who once lived in Turkey, were wiped out during and post-WW 1. My grandfather’s immediate family perished, except for three little nephews who escaped with a famiiy friend to Argentina, and my grandfather, who at the time was (fortunately) a college student in the US. I was very close to all my grandparents (the other three were Scandinavian.) They were a treasured blessing in my life and provided the inspiration for me to treasure my role as grandmother to a beloved two year old boy.

Wishing all a blessed day in yoyr walk with God.

• robert moeller October 24, 2017, 11:09 am

Thankfully there is an Armenia today, but the Armenians suffered terribly under Turkish rule. I am very thankful that you knew your Armenian grandfather. Hope you can find out more. Not sure if there are Armenian churches near where you live. If so, they may be able to help. Finding your ancestors is precious. Prayers that you are successful.

• April October 22, 2017, 10:51 am

Joy has been my “word” for close to 2 years now. I have thought and prayed about it many times, but I still have not wrapped my mind around it. Recently I read a short article by Christopher Simon in which he shared that when his mother would write to him, she closed with the word JOY and added extra “doodles” beside each letter: Jesus Others Yourself. He then went on to write:
    There is something to be learned from the fact that deeply spiritual people often have a deep and abiding joy….Mother Teresa and Dalai Lama are exemplars of the joy that comes from a simple faith and the devotion to a life of serving others…but don’t forget to serve yourself …you matter just as much as everyone else and God did not create any of us to be someone else’s doormat.
    May my life be one of JOY that enables me to rest in the knowledge of Your love and care so that through the witness of my life, others might come to know You as you truly are. Amen.
    It is so good to connect with my UR family… may we all feel the prayer hugs shared at this site. Blessings on this fall Sunday.

• Louise October 22, 2017, 6:54 pm

April I just finished reading a book called “The Book Of Joy” by Abrams It is about a week with The Dalai Lama and Desmond Tutu and they talk about finding joy in the world that we live in. It is a good read. I think you may enjoy it. Let me know if you read it.

• April October 22, 2017, 8:39 pm

Hi Louise, yes…I am reading the book now…slowly so I can soak it all in…it is awesome….hope you enjoyed it too.

• robert moeller October 24, 2017, 11:14 am

Despite the tragedies, natural disasters, and terrible relationships people have, there is JOY IN THIS WORLD. It’s not hidden under a bushel basket, deep in the woods, or in some far off unknown place waiting to be discovered.
        Having Christ and the Holy Spirit in your heart JOY is easier to find.

I am certain that the Dali Lama and Desmond Tutu know what JOY is. I also think we here at the UR have at least glimpses if not spectacular views of it.