Deep Peace

THE JEWISH PHILOSOPHER Philo of Alexandria is credited with saying, “Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.” That wisdom not only offers good advice about how to treat others but also provides excellent counsel about how to treat yourself when you commit to traveling inward. Be kind to yourself. While it may feel at times as if you are fighting a great battle, the effort is worthwhile. Though difficult, the journey leads to a place of deep peace.

– Karla M. Kincannon
Creativity and Divine Surprise

From page 76 of Creativity and Divine Surprise: Finding the Place of Your Resurrection by Karla M. Kincannon. Copyright © 2005 by Karla M. Kincannon. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

How can you be gentle with yourself today? Share your thoughts.

The people said to Joshua, “The LORD our God we will serve, and him we will obey.”
Joshua 24:24, NRSV

This Week: pray for a willingness to obey the Lord. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Antoinette Brown Blackwell (November 5).

• Jill November 6, 2017, 3:50 am

I can be gentle with myself today by giving myself graceful time-outs…time to think about God, to reflect on His protection and provision and to breathe a prayer of gratitude.
    Grateful for church yesterday, an associate pastor spoke on a proper perspective of dying. Grateful for a nap, as well as time to read.
    Blessings to the UR family as we begin the week.

• Louise November 6, 2017, 4:15 am

I can be gentle with myself today starting with morning prayer and meditation. When the demands and pressures of the day get heavy I can stop and talk with God and be grateful. I am grateful for mass yesterday and time spent with family. I pray for all who struggle mentally, physically, and spiritually that they can find a way to be gentle with themselves. I pray for all here at the UR that you will find comfort and peace. I ask God to help me be the best version of myself that I can be today and to guide me. I pray for patience, understanding, compassion, and peace and in our world.

• robert moeller November 6, 2017, 5:25 am

Some time ago I was told to be more gentle with myself. Today’s reflection asks to do that again. Giving my sins to God with a contrite heart will help me be gentle on myself. I am human and despite being made in the image of God and being a child of God, I am a sinner. Without God I am hopeless. With God there is life abundant. Thank You, Lord.

Amen Louise to your prayers. You put words to my thoughts.
    Thankful for communion yesterday, remembering saints, good fellowship, and a delicious supper. Had a phone call from my cousin.

Off to heart rehab soon, blessings to you all as we begin a new week.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 6, 2017, 5:52 am

I can be kind to myself by sleeping early after a long and tiring day at work.

Thank you God for the night to rest.

Blessings to all!

• Julie November 6, 2017, 7:43 am

I can be kind to myself today by accepting myself as God made me. I can love myself as God loves me. This is difficult for me.
    Glad to hear from Jill. The local news this morning stated that there haave been severe storms in her area.
    Blessings to all and please remember that you are a child of God’s own creation.

• Kim Young November 6, 2017, 7:59 pm

As I reflect on my day I can be gentle with myself by loving myself and knowing I was intentional when sharing God’s love with the people that I met during the course of my day. God is love and I am a witness!

• Pam November 6, 2017, 8:18 pm

Welcome, Kim! Blessings, all!