God Sightings

FAITH TELLS US that even when we do not see the evidence, God is actively involved in all of life. …

We easily recognize God’s involvement when prayers are answered to our satisfaction or when life goes well and hope abounds. We don’t easily remember that God is still involved when life is disappointing, painful, or cruel, or when boredom sets in and life seems to move in slow motion. In unpleasant situations we sometimes question, “Where is God? Why doesn’t God do something?”

On Wednesday nights, a pastor invites the congregation to remember and describe any “God sightings” from the week. Each person is encouraged to share details of when, where, and how she or he saw or experienced God’s involvement either personally or in the life of someone else. A few raise hands almost immediately, while others struggle to think of a time they saw God at work.

It takes conscious effort and discipline to look for and recognize God in all of life. Yet to do so can bring about a stronger faith, greater awareness of the person of God who cares dearly for all of creation. We get a clearer glimpse of the incomprehensible might and power of the Creator of the universe.

– Gerrie L. Grimsely and Jane J. Young
Contemplative by Design

From page 11 of Contemplative by Design: Creating Quiet Spaces for Retreats, Workshops, Churches, and Personal Settings by Gerrie L. Grimsely and Jane J. Young. Copyright © 2008 by Gerrie L. Grimsley and Jane J. Young. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Describe “God sightings” from your day. Share your thoughts.

Give ear, O my people, to my teaching; incline your ears to the words of my mouth.
Psalm 78:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for a willingness to obey the Lord. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Antoinette Brown Blackwell (November 5).

• Jill November 7, 2017, 3:55 am

Last night in our small group – we had a “share-out” session. This year’s group is really small – just four of us. Three of us have been together for four years now and the new member is friends with the other two in our group from the church adult Bible fellowship on Sunday mornings. During our first “share-out” about a month ago, the newest member mentioned that these sessions were uncomfortable for her. It was good to hear her speak a bit more freely last night, and to present a bit of vulnerability in the story she shared.
    Grateful for the beautiful, large harvest moon last evening on the way home. Grateful for energy to take a walk after school yesterday, even though it is getting quite cool. Grateful for kindness shown by a colleague.
    Yes, Julie, the storms were pretty intense in my area Sunday evening. Several schools were closed due to power outages yesterday, but not mine. My neighborhood did not get the brunt of it – north of me was hit pretty severely.

• Joan November 7, 2017, 7:35 am

Jill, can you tell me what a “share out” session is? Very involved in small groups and always eager to learn new ideas from others. Thank you.

• robert moeller November 7, 2017, 4:37 am

Grateful the storms near Jill despite their severity didn’t cause school to close or power outages. Sounds like the kind of winds we had recently. Lots of trees were down.
    Being a newcomer brings a sense of unease. Hope that subsides for the new person in the Bible study. I’m back in my home state but not in a town where I grew up, have cousins I haven’t seen for quite some time, but we are getting reacquainted.
    Saw God in the chicken pot pie Erich made for supper last night. It was his first one and it looked and tasted as if he had been making them for years.
    We’ll enjoy more of it today.
    Thankful for the progress he is making, he has goals, and is on his way to reaching them.
    Welcome to Kim and Cherise! Always glad to have new members. Thank You,
    Lord!
    God is with us till we meet again.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 7, 2017, 5:37 am

Very grateful to God for the opportunity to thank someone today for being such a blessing to me in so many ways this year.

Thank you God!

Blessings to all!

• Cherie November 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Thank you for the reflection on finding God everywhere and at any time. I will make a point to notice my “God sightings!” Love and Light!

• Fred Prosser November 7, 2017, 6:59 am

I don’t care for the new format. Why did you change it?

• Betsy November 7, 2017, 7:07 am

A wonderful minister that I know use to day “we can see evidence of God all around us if we simply have eyes to see and ears to hear”. Sometimes in the everyday, mundane activities of life, God reveals himself to us. Wonderful devotion!
    Grateful you escaped the worst of the storms, Jill. We only got rain here.
    Welcome to our newest post-ers. Glad to have you among us, Cherie and Kim!
    Looking forward today to work at the Senior Center and Bible Study this evening.

• Julie November 7, 2017, 7:52 am

I see God in the sparing of jill’s area and school from the worst of the storms. I see God in leading two new faithful followers to this wonderful and warm forum. Welcome. I see God in the love and care offered here. Praise the Lord for He is good.
    Blessings and love to all

• Louise November 7, 2017, 12:06 pm

Betsy I agree with you. We can see God all around us everyday even in the mundane task that are preformed. If we are looking and listening we can see and hear. Grateful for time spent with my 92 year old mother in law last night. I love our conversations. She has seen so much in her life time…it is amazing. I pray for all who struggle mentally, physically, and spiritually. I pray for all of you here at UR. Peace be with you all.