Reflect God’s Image

MY GOD, EVERY FIBER of my being vibrates at the touch of your grace – whereby I am given the privilege of being your child. My joy at your overwhelming gestures of love and the high privilege you extend to me of entering into your life invades my being with an acute sense of your ever-nearness. In response to this, my Lord, I offer praises to you.

Yet, my Lord, I am often cold toward you. I forget to love you for long periods of time – and this to my own harm and regret. Forgive me, Lord! Everloving God, set my life aflame with love for you only. O my God, I long to reflect your image throughout the world so that others might observe your doing in me and themselves be convinced that you love them also.

–Norman Shawchuck, A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

– Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job
A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

From pages 402-403 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God, by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job. Copyright © 2003 by the authors. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

We will not hide them from their children; we will tell to the coming generation the glorious deeds of the LORD, and his might, and the wonders that he has done.
Psalm 78:4, NRSV

This Week: pray for a willingness to obey the Lord. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Antoinette Brown Blackwell (November 5).

• Jill November 8, 2017, 3:23 am

“Set my life aflame with love for You only!” Amen. This calls to mind a song I came across about 2 weeks ago…it is about the idols that exist in our lives, and how we must strive to rid our lives of them. The song is called “Clear the Stage” – I found it on YouTube. Would really recommend it.
    Grateful for deep sleep last night. Hopeful that my sleep issues are behind me for now. Have been sleeping restfully for about a week now. Helps so much for strength to get through the day. I have a doctor’s appt today – first time back to my rheumatologist since I began treatment. Very interested in what he has to say regarding my progress. Grateful for peaks of sunshine yesterday and the brilliance of the colors of the trees.
    Joan – we have a “share-out” session about every 5-6 weeks. Instead of doing our study, we have a question/prompt that each of us spends 10 or so minutes on, sharing something personal. Usually I write my response out, helps me to organize my thoughts and not ramble, but others do it off the cuff. These are called “Life Story Days”. We are encouraged to share from deep within, likely showing some vulnerability, as we allow others to learn of the path we have walked.

• robert moeller November 8, 2017, 5:45 am

Grateful for today’s reflection, thank You, Lord. Like sheep we stray, but at the sound of Your voice, Lord, You gather us in. Yes, may we be the vessel that brings Your good news to others in word and deed.

Thankfully, we are able to do “share outs” here. Heart rehab and a first time meeting with a new counselor today. Had to change because my first counselor needs to care for her dying father. If I had to pick a month that I find the toughest, it would be this one. Thankfully, over time it has become less troublesome, but as a certain day approaches, sad memories are awakened. I’m grateful that there are also happy days, my Dad’s birthday and Thanksgiving, that come soon after the sad day and help me recover.

Prayers of thanks and welcome for new members, I also long for the posts of
    Rusty.

Thankful for good news from Jill about her health, sleep. Prayers for Julie’s hands, for anyone in pain of any kind. God is with us, and wants us to lean on
    Him/Her trusting in the reconciliation Jesus made possible. Thank You, Lord.

• Lou November 8, 2017, 6:30 am

Praying for you Robert – for your comfort and peace on your sad day. Jesus is always by your side.

• robert moeller November 9, 2017, 6:18 am

Thank you, Lou, yes, God is with us. Blessings to you as you keep the faith.

• Cherie November 8, 2017, 6:08 am

I pray I will draw closer to the Lord everyday, and I pray others will be able to see the Christ in me. Love and Light!

• Betsy November 8, 2017, 6:51 am

Thank you for the image of the lost sheep, Robert. We do wander, but God’s voice brings us back to the fold. The hanks be to God!
    Praying for a good report from you doc today, Jill. Glad you are sleeping better. It does make such a difference when you can get the rest you need to face the day.
    Grateful for all the ways God has called us to minister to others. May we hear the call to service. Amen

• Lou November 8, 2017, 7:14 am

Forgive me Lord- set my life aflame with love for only You.
    Yes Lord – only You- help me lean into You.
    I wake up every morning and my first prayer of the day these days is merely – help me Lord. It has been a trying week of mundane struggles – no hot water -the water heater needed complete replacement which turned into a major project with pipes being replaced and reconfigured. Then the furnace stopped working – the internet/phone/tv service all suspended because of confusion about a bill not paid – still issues to be worked out with my ex husband – I’m left alone to figure it all out and I will- but
    Help me Lord.
    The stress makes my back pain worse – the surgery helped but it is not perfect and stress I know does not help with the healing. My son continues to look for a job – heavy issues with my two daughters separately this week weighing heavily on me. My mother has major health issues and I need to be prepared to go help her. It has been a hard week- help me Lord. This is my share out today- sometimes I say – Why Lord – why?
    I am tired – Help me Lord.

• Francesca November 9, 2017, 5:54 am

Lou know that God WILL see you through these times. Lord please grant Lou all the strength, stamina, and continued faith she needs.

• robert moeller November 9, 2017, 6:22 am

I hear you. God knows what you are going through and you will be fine. Your faith, immediate turning to God, and asking for help has you on the right path. Be strong in the Lord.

• Julie November 8, 2017, 8:09 am

Oh Lou, my heart actually aches for you. I am near tears, I am so in tune with your pain I feel actual pain. My prayers for you have been so heartfelt and still you and your children suffer. Lord hear my prayers for Lou, I lift her up to you. Please know that my thoughts are with you throughout the day and that I am sending you my love, support, and many hugs. This to shall pass and YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS. I believe you are strong and capable.
    Robert, good luck with the new counselor and thank you for the prayer for my hands. Jill, good luck at the doctor’s.
    I pray for each of you every day. Bless you

• Connie November 8, 2017, 8:46 am

I have never felt cold toward God. Yes, I have been “prone to wander”, but always loving Him.
    Oh friends, I am praying for each of you. Lou, you are so good at sharing. Thank you for trusting us. Sometimes life is so overwhelming, but hang on!
    Jill, Robert, Cherie, Betsy, Julie -may God be with you today and meet your every need.

• robert moeller November 9, 2017, 6:29 am

Thank you Connie, Marcy, and Francesca! Yes there is strong support here, we are not useless as we are God’s messengers. Very thankful we can have
      “share-outs” here. They are needed and useful. God is with you till we meet again.

• Marcy November 8, 2017, 9:11 am

Yes, I “wander”, when my physical pain overwhelms me, as it’s been doing these past three days, (yet another migraine), but I’m trying to never lose my way. Thank you, Lord, for walking so close beside us always.

God, please be with each and every one of my fellow UR family members, in their struggles AND their victories. May they and their children, especially difficult ones, Lord, find in You the strength they need to perservere. May joy and happiness regain the foothold in their lives. And may everyone be thankful they have family and good friends to help see them through. Father, please bless Your children today and every day.

Thank you, everyone, for keeping me in your prayers. I’m having a crisis, just wanting to give up and quit trying, worse than useless as I am.

Faith, hope and love to you all….

• Francesca November 9, 2017, 5:48 am

Marcy I am praying for you! Useless? No way . . . Your words, your experiences, they’ve been an encouragement to me many times. May God wrap his loving arms around you and lift you up this day and always.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 9, 2017, 7:49 am

Never give up, Marcy!

God is with you!

You are a blessing to me and all of us here at UR!