A Seal Upon Christ’s Heart

MAY CHRIST SET YOU as a seal upon his heart,
as a seal upon his arm;
for his love is as strong as death,
his passion as fierce as the grave.
Many waters cannot quench his love,
neither can floods drown it.
–Based on Song of Solomon 8:6-7

Earth Gospel: A Guide to Prayer for God’s Creation

“From page 98 of Earth Gospel: A Guide to Prayer for God’s Creation by Sam Hamilton-Poore. Copyright © 2008 by Sam Hamilton-Poore. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books.
“http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

Keep awake therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.
Matthew 25:13, NRSV

This Week: pray for a willingness to obey the Lord. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This weekend we give thanks for the witness and mission of U.S. Military chaplains. Give to The Upper Room Chaplains’ Ministry in honor or in memory of a special veteran in your life. Your gift will invite thousands of military personnel to a daily practice of prayer.

This week we remember: Antoinette Brown Blackwell (November 5).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 12, 2017, 2:05 am

Grant us Lord, the joy and willingness to obey you!

Blessings to all!

• Lou November 12, 2017, 3:54 am

Grateful for another week. Prayers for all who come here looking for God’s peace. He is with us all.

• Jill November 12, 2017, 4:38 am

The fierceness, the strength and the unquenchability of His Love. Yes and amen.
    Marcy – I pray that you will sense His presence with you as you endure changes and try to adjust to this new normal. His strength is perfect…lean into it.
    Grateful for time yesterday with my mom and sister. Grateful too, for energy and sunshine to work in as I raked up leaves in my backyard. We had some snow on Friday and a lot of leaves came down. Still have a lot to go, as well. Grateful to be back in my regular sleep pattern, sleeping deeply and restfully.

• robert moeller November 12, 2017, 5:31 am

I find these verses difficult to understand. I can not imagine me being a seal on Christ’s heart or arm, imperfection a seal on the perfect doesn’t seem right.
    Christ wants us, loves us, cares for us, but He doesn’t need us. I want to accept the precious gift Christ offers.

Thankful for warmth on cold days, the beauty of snow on mountain tops, and progress in many areas. Prayers of thanks for the good news from Jill this morning. Prayers for Mary, Lou, and Marcy, thankful each of you trusts in the Lord. The Lord knows our needs and supplies them.

Have a blessed day in the Lord.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 12, 2017, 8:16 pm

Indeed! Praise the Lord!

Blessings!

• Betsy November 12, 2017, 7:01 am

Grateful for the opportunity to obey and follow you, Lord. Blessings to all UR prayer family on this Sabbath. Amen

• Julie November 12, 2017, 7:32 am

I agree, Robert. The verses did not sit well with me but you expressed my unease perfectly and succinctly. Jill, thankful for your continued improvement. Lou, I continue to pray for you and your family. Marcy, I pray that you receive relief and answers. But remember that God and those of us here at the UR are with you and wish to support and comfort as we can.
    Blessings to all and thanks for your warm and heartfelt posts as well as sharing your faith and lives. Bless you all

• Connie November 12, 2017, 8:32 am

I would like His seal on My heart and My life forever.
    Blessings to all as we head into Thanksgiving.
    I am thankful for a warm home, tasty food, major house improvements that were accomplished, and my Reflection Friends. May God bless you every day of the coming weeks. We are one in the spirit.

• Marcy November 12, 2017, 2:45 pm

This was also confusing for me, so I read the Bible passage itself. Still unclear. Like Robert and Julie, I’m uncomfortable with this application. I’d much rather see it as, “I would like His on my life and my heart forever.” Will continue to meditate on this for understanding.

I am thankful beyond words to our Loving God and for the thoughts and prayers for me over the last week and today from Mary, Robert, Francesca, Jill, Julie and all of this loving UR family. I’m ashamed of the neediness and weakness that was on display, as I’m feeling peace and strength today. I’ve been in tears of comfort and feelings of love as I’ve read your words and felt the prayers from this UR family. Intercessory prayer is powerful indeed!

I ask that you bear with me as I get used to the medication making clear headed thinking somewhat difficult. I lift each of you and your families up to God in prayer and ask that He blesses and keeps you all safe and well. Praying for those dealing with mental, emotional, physical and spiritual challenges, that these issues are overcome and that the restoration of peace and joy are just around the corner!

Praying for obedience. We are listening, Lord.

God’s Love and heavenly blessings to all!

• Marcy November 12, 2017, 2:48 pm

Sorry! “I would like His seal on my life and my heart forever.”

• robert moeller November 13, 2017, 2:59 am

Yes! I totally agree. Christ seals us.

Continued prayers for all the UR family enduring a lot of physical pain due to varying medical problems. All of us have concerns, worries, issues that cause stress. Prayers for these as well. In Jesus we have the opportunity to be freed of them. Thank You, Lord. They don’t just magically go away, but Jesus helps us work our way through them. Thank You, Lord.