Praise and Thanksgiving

PRAISE DIFFERS FROM thanksgiving, which is offered for a specific reason or a particular gift. Praise does not depend on any single deed or gift of God. It is a prayer, chorus, or hymn directed to God out of endless wonder from our endless discovery of who God is.

Praise goes beyond thanksgiving to express our amazement at God’s concern for us that exceeds our expectation, merit, or imagination. Thus, praising God begins in surprise. God provides more. God is more than we had hoped or dared to imagine.

Offer a prayer of praise today for God’s surprising goodness in your life.

Disciplines 2015

From page 166 of The Upper Room Disciplines 2015: A Book of Daily Devotions, reading for June 3, 2015 by P. Joel Snider. Copyright © 2015 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What is the difference between praise and thanksgiving? Share your thoughts.

To you I lift up my eyes, O you who are enthroned in the heavens!
Psalm 123:1, NRSV

This Week: pray for courage. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Gertrude the Great of Helfta (November 16).

• Jill November 13, 2017, 3:23 am

I praise God for His worthiness, for His Love for me, for His desire to be in relationship with me. It’s baffling, to be honest. What else can I do? Be humbled, praise Him…through prayer, yes…but also as I live out my life daily, moment by moment. My prayer the last few weeks has been – Lord, be magnified in me.
    Grateful for church yesterday, and a few moments with a new friend. Grateful for continued noticeable energy in the afternoon. I didn’t take a nap this weekend. Even when I was feeling well – I always loved a good nap. This is encouraging.

• Michael P Butler November 13, 2017, 4:56 am

I think of thankfulness as gratitude for my state of being and praise as acknowledging God’s omnipotent handiwork in my state of being, in all things, and in all the universe.

• Louise November 13, 2017, 5:45 am

When I think of the difference between praise and thanksgiving I immediately think of St. Faustina. Reading about her has taught me the difference between praise and thanksgiving. St. Faustina tells us to praise God because he will give you the deeper knowledge of His holiness and His majesty, and at the same time you will see your own misery. This knowledge will make you happy and your soul will drowned itself completely in His mercy. She tells us to praise God because through Him we find happiness which we are thankful for by being aware of both our misery and His Mercy—secured through the bridge of trust. With one eye on the abyss of your misery and with the other, on the abyss of Your mercy. I pray for all who are struggling mentally, physically, and spiritually … may they find peace. I pray for all here at UR that your troubles and pains will be lessoned through your relationship with God. God please guide me today and help me to be the best version of myself that I can be. Peace to all.

• Marcy November 13, 2017, 4:26 pm

Louise, I read ‘Daily Reflections on Divine Mercy’ every day. I have downloaded the pdf ‘Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska – Divine Mercy in My Soul’ to my phone so I can go where the reflection directs me to the Diary. Could you tell me the name of the book you’re reading? It’s difficult trying to read the Diary on my phone. I enjoy these reflections very much!

• Louise November 13, 2017, 7:35 pm

The book I am currently reading is “Stepping On The Serpent” The Journey Of Trust With Mary by Dr. Thaddaeus Lancton.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 13, 2017, 5:53 am

Father God, i praise you because You are awesome and powerful. Nothing is impossible for you.

I thank you for another fruitful day and the joy of teaching my students to paint with cotton buds.

Blessings to all!

• Julie November 13, 2017, 7:49 am

I praise God for His steadfast presence with me. I thank God for leadng me to this wonderful group of faithful believers. I praise God for His undeserved love and compassion for all and thank Him for the gift of salvation and reconciliation through the death of His son, our Saviour.
    Blessings and thanksgiving for the improved health of Jill, as well as prayers for the relief of those yet suffering.

• Cherie November 13, 2017, 8:00 am

I praise God for being with me through it all. Good and bad. Praise His Holy Name!!!! Prayers for all people who are struggling. Love and Light!

• robert moeller November 13, 2017, 9:03 am

Praise honors God for who God is. Thanksgiving shows gratitude for what God does. God is truly worthy of praise just for being God. God’s ability to do things is beyond both our understanding and capability. Thank you Michael for your helpful explanation. It helped me focus on today’s question.

Thankful for a new week, a good start to the day. I’m home from heart rehab and off to get my snow tires put on, later a cleaning at the dentist. Thankful these activities are possible, we have food to eat, and can stay warm.

I echo the prayers of the UR family for pain relief., prayers especially for Julie and Marcy as they deal with pain. Thankful for the good news from Jill and Mary about their activities.

God is with us always, thank You, Lord.

• Marcy November 13, 2017, 5:22 pm

Thank you, Robert, for your prayers. I have the cervical neck MRI tomorrow and am looking forward to doing whatever needs to be done, so I can move forward. Everyone here in the UR family has been so supportive, I’m feeling a sense of fortification from God growing stronger. Happy you got all of your activities completed today! God bless!

• robert moeller November 13, 2017, 6:05 pm

Prayers that your MRI does what is expected and helps with your migraines.
        Headaches, no matter what kind or to what degree are very tough.

On a lighter note, the replacement transformer arrived today and in a few minutes the first trains on the new layout ran. Haven’t had a train run on a layout in 10+ years. Quite a thrill.

• Marcy November 13, 2017, 7:05 pm

Awesome, Robert! I wish I could see them! It’s been many, many years since my trains have run. My Dad still had them so 15 years ago, I think? Wonder what my cat would think of them? Hmmm…

• robert moeller November 14, 2017, 5:52 am

The trains run on benchwork about 30″ above the floor. Isis, my son’s cat, hasn’t been there yet.

The trains and layout represent in a general way trains in the early 1900s on the Hersfeld district railroad in the eastern part of what is now the state of Hesse in Germany and also the kinds steam trains seen in Germany in the 1960s.

• Julie November 13, 2017, 10:16 am

Thank you for your prayers,Robert.
    However, as I have not related that I am in pain, I am curious about the repeated mentions of such by others.
    My fingers have begun to itch, but other than that I am in good condition, thanks be to God.

• robert moeller November 13, 2017, 11:54 am

Was not aware that the medication has alleviated the pain you had in your hands. Thank You, Lord. That most certainly is a blessing.

• HP November 13, 2017, 4:33 pm

• Marcy November 13, 2017, 5:47 pm

This is hard to put into words, but I’ll try:
    Thanksgiving for the blessings of church and Pastors, all friends and family who have gone ahead, friends who pray, a place to live, food to eat, having a pet and numerous other things not to be taken for granted!
    Praises for God, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, salvation, Bible scriptures, God’s creation, Christian fellowship, hymns and songs, our Home in Heaven and so much more!

Praying for all who need courage, all facing challenges of any kind.

I’m keeping all of you here in the UR family, posting or reading, in my thoughts and prayers for peace, joy and happiness. So grateful for God’s grace seen in each of you. Thank you for your patience and your prayers.

Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is LOVE!

• robert moeller November 13, 2017, 5:54 pm

Excellent examples of praise and thanksgiving. Thank you!