God, What Do You Want Me to Do?

LAST WEEKEND I started mentally gearing up to host a meal. What date? How many? Who? I’ve learned that a good dinner party includes people who share common interests but can also bring fresh ideas to enliven the table talk. I scribbled names of professional women with admirable faith, all lively conversationalists. The ideal grouping I envisioned. The perfect ladies’ night.

Even the thought of entertaining can prompt me to tidy up. Skimming through and discarding old magazines, I stared at a bold-faced headline that made me think twice about the potential guest list: “Guess Who Ought to Be Coming to Dinner.” I stopped and read the smaller print of the text by the Reverend Dr. Bonnie Thurston about Jesus and his “unacceptable dinner guests.” She asked, “What if I invited folks to dinner and did not worry whether they belonged at the table?” …

Lord, whether I’m planning a dinner or a day, help me to ask good questions, starting with, “[God,] What do you want me to do?”

– Evelyn Bence
Room at My Table

“From pages 24-25 of Room at My Table: Preparing Heart & Home for Christian Hospitality by Evelyn Bence. Copyright © 2014 by Evelyn Bence. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books.
“http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Ask God, “God, what do you want me to do?” Share your thoughts.

Therefore, thus says the Lord GOD to them: I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep.

Ezekiel 34:20, NRSV

This Week: pray for wisdom. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: C.S. Lewis (November 22).

• Jill November 20, 2017, 3:47 am

When asking this question – He is faithful to answer it. I only half-jokingly say, be careful what you ask for. He will likely ask you to use the specific and special “talent” He has gifted you with. I doubt He would suddenly give you the gift of another…but, rather, stretch you out of your comfort zone – to fulfill the gift bestowed especially in you, that only you can give.
    Probably about this time last year, the idea of coming up with a word to meditate on for the next year began popping up in various things I was reading. I think I have already shared this here before, but here it goes again. So – I chose the word sovereignty. One of my many prayers was, Father – help me to grasp more fully, Your Sovereignty. Faithful as He is, I received the answer. Not how I would have imagined that answer be given, but – pretty much clear as day. My understanding of His Sovereignty has blossomed – and through it all – I praise Him. Thank You for Your perfect wisdom, for answering our prayers in accordance to Your Will.
    So very grateful for worship yesterday, the message on thankfulness from Psalm 138. Yes, thankfulness must flow from the inside out. Grateful to spend time with my tennis team last evening – it was the last match of the Fall season. So eager to join them in March. And it looks like that is more likely to happen. Grateful for a short work week ahead.

• Louise November 20, 2017, 4:01 am

God, what do you want me to do? Our Thanksgiving table and dinner is shared by many family and friends. Now that my children have married there are new members joining us at the table…our son-in-law and his mom and my daughter-in-law and her mom along with other family and friends who have become part of our extended family over the years. I have already started cooking and everyone will bring something. I always take some time after all is done and we are sitting at the table to quietly look around and watch the different facial expressions and listen to the different conversations and I thank God for bringing us all together. It is a lot of work to cook and get ready for so many people…however it is God’s will and grace that makes it happen and when I look around the table I believe that God answered me and I do what he wants me to do. God’s peace be with all of you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 20, 2017, 5:17 am

A very good wuestion to ask God each morning.

May God grant us the wisdom and the strength to do what wants us to do each day.

Blessings to all!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 20, 2017, 5:19 am

Sorry for the typo error. It should be question. Spotted it too late after i pressed the submit button.

• Julie November 20, 2017, 8:00 am

Been there done that Mary. Do you know where your new teaching position will be yet?
    And yes, be careful of what we ask, especially when addressing the above question to God. Which is why I am hesitant to ask this question. I feel that I can be honest here and relate my reluctance and weakness and fear. I ask for your help and guidance, humbly acknowledging that many of you do so much in His name. Help me to overcome my weakness which is rooted in the way that people recoil from my hands.
    Blessings and prayers and awe over how this group buoys the members as needed, this is a unique group of God’s faithful

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 3:05 pm

Julie, I do not see you as weak at all. You are an excellent example of strength in the way you speak here in this forum. Those who would show such behavior as ‘recoiling’, are not seeing your heart and soul. That’s where you truly shine. I am bent at the waist and neck and my breathing is labored and people stare. It no longer bothers me because there are also good people who look beyond my physical condition. I smile at people who stare. They don’t keep me home. It’s my condition that does that. I’ve gotten stuck and had to call for help. I wish I had the physical strength and stamina to go out and witness for God and I will someday. I say, do the things you want to do, showing your light to the world, and never mind anyone else. I truly hope this is helpful to you in some way.

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 3:13 pm

I just had to reply to your post, Julie. Again, I hope it is helpful to you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 20, 2017, 10:49 pm

Hi Julie, I am still seeking God about my new position. Let me tell you, if you obey, God will provide. So have no fear.

Blessings!

• Cherie November 20, 2017, 8:21 am

Good morning! The holidays can be a little lonely with just 2, but I pray this year it will be without my husband in a hospital. Louise, your table sounds beautiful and welcoming! Love to you all! Love and Light!

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 11:00 am

It will be our Father God, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit my table this year. My friend passed away and she was the one who invited me for the holidays. I can no longer entertain dinner guests myself due to the limitations of my body. I’m thankful to have memories of better times with my family, and am not melancholy, as I once was, when recalling those times. Yes, there are difficult moments, but they will pass. I am happy for all who are gathering together, for holidays or other dinner parties. Among the UR family here, I know that God is also present at your gatherings! As for myself, I will have my nose in my devotionals and the Bible, far from being alone!

I thought that I would reply to each comment, as I’ve been doing lately, but then realized that replying might not be such a good idea, as they aren’t requested and may not necessarily be helpful. I apologize for my incomplete understanding.

Yes, Lord! I am praying for wisdom, not only for myself, but for many people and places around our world.

I’m thankful to our Father in heaven for the support and knowledge shared among this wonderful UR family. Prayers going out to all here and beyond for any in need and praising God with those in happy celebrations. I pray for each of you, your families and your friends, that God blesses you and keep you all safe and well.

And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is LOVE!

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 11:03 am

And thank you, all of you, for your prayers and words of encouragement and I thank God that He sees fit to bless me with this lovely UR family. Thank you, Lord.

• Connie November 20, 2017, 12:10 pm

My eyes are on the prize!
    Thankful for a trip to the lab going well (husband), a new light fixture, relief from pain that I feared was serious (must have been a pulled muscle), and it’s sunny and bright today.
    Marcy, your replies to me will always be welcome.

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 3:50 pm

I’m glad you only pulled a muscle, Connie! I pray all is well with your husband and thankful for your ‘sunny and bright’ day! God’s blessings traveling with you!

• April November 20, 2017, 7:14 pm

Marcy, I see your replies to any/all as a personal conversation on this site. and thank you for taking the time to individualize replies …. You are a blessing to so many and in so many ways.
    I am sad to hear of your friend’s passing and sharing how you shared Thanksgiving together. You are correct and I have been there at holidays too, when we have the Bible, we can read and connect with other Christians, and we are never alone….Praise and Joy to all!!

• Marcy November 20, 2017, 7:55 pm

April, thank you for your comment about my friend, who was really like a sister to me. That’s the difficulty to come, but I can almost hear her telling me it’s not what she would wish for me. It’s hard to believe only one year ago, I was helping her make pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread; now she is in heaven and I’m the one who needs help! I am, however, thankful she’s Home as she had so many medical problems and pain. I cling to the fact that God’s Love makes everything possible.

• robert moeller November 21, 2017, 6:09 am

Tried to post here yesterday and the site reverted to the previous day. Now I’m a day late, but as is said, better late than never.
    The question is a great one. I hope I am doing what God wants me to do.
    Am in touch with a cousin I have only met twice in my life, lots of reconnecting to do.
    Will start making calls today to the people in the group.
    Have all of yesterday’s posts to read.
    Blessings to you all as we approach Thanksgiving Day here in the US.
    Mary, I hope there is Thanksgiving Day where you live.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 21, 2017, 8:06 am

Robert, we do not have thanksgiving here but this sunday we are celebrating my mum’s birthday. So we actually have many people and things to be thankful for.

May you and your family have a blessed thanksgiving, Robert!