God in the Silence

FOR ME, listening to God in prayer is the true gift of prayer beads. We desperately desire to hear the voice of God in our noisy, busy lives. The prayer beads help us step out of the chaos.

We can take a short prayer or a short verse of scripture, such as “Fear not, for I am with you” (Genesis 26:24, RSV) or “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want” (Psalm 23:1, KJV) and repeat it with each bead. As we do, we shift our attention from the words and begin to listen for what God has to say to us. In the beginning, this style of prayer may seem awkward or uncomfortable. That is okay.

If you stay with the practice, I can assure you that you will begin to feel calmer and realize a new way of connecting with God, an encounter with God’s love. Like Elijah, you will find God in the “sheer silence.”

– Kristen E. Vincent
A Bead and a Prayer

From page 75 of A Bead and a Prayer: A Beginner’s Guide to Protestant Prayer Beads by Kristen E. Vincent. Copyright © 2013 by Kristen E. Vincent. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What disciplines do you use in your prayer life to connect with God? Share your thoughts.

Restore us, O LORD God of hosts; let your face shine, that we may be saved.

Psalm 80:19, NRSV

This Week: pray for hope. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Dorothy Day (November 29).

• Jill November 29, 2017, 3:42 am

My time in the morning, sitting quietly in my blue chair, drifting in and out of prayer, reading Scripture – this is paramount to my day. I desire to be more consistent with praying throughout the day, and feel that I have made strides…there is always room for more progress.
    Thank you – friends – for rejoicing with me in my return to the tennis court. I did play last night and it was very good to be back. My body responded positively while playing – just some tightness in my hands. Was able to get out of bed this morning – another positive sign. We will see if stiffness and muscle soreness creeps in throughout the day. In a strange way – that will be a blessing. To have been active enough to have muscles ache.
    My excitement for tennis in the evening was tempered quite a bit when I received a call from my dad while still at school. Some of mom’s blood and lab work came back with unfavorable results, quickly plummeting her into deeper negativity. She has an appointment to see a specialist on December 12, and these next two weeks of waiting will be a stress for her, and thus, my dad. Additionally, dad had oral surgery yesterday, and it didn’t go well, either. He has to go back again in a week, and may lose feeling on one side of his face. A rough day for them yesterday. I stopped by for a few minutes last night on the way home from tennis. Mom was in the doldrums and dad was just sitting there with his face very swollen – a pitiful sight, really. Would appreciate you all keeping them both in your prayers…I know you do and will.

• Louise November 30, 2017, 2:46 am

Jill I will keep your mom and dad in my prayers. I am happy for you that playing tennis went well. Peace be with you.

• robert moeller November 29, 2017, 5:08 am

My discipline is Quiet Time each morning. The Daily Reflection is the focus that starts my day.

Thankful for Jill’s tennis time. Prayers for her Mom and Dad. May their spirits be lifted, assured that You, Lord are with them. Lord, help us always to lean on You. There is no one else who can do what You do. We need You every day of our lives.

Thankful for the posts that come during the day. A conversation of support, caring, sharing, continues. The Lord is working through each of us as we share God’s love, mercy, grace, and hope. Blessings to Jill, Marcy, Mary, Betsy, Andrea, Lou, Louise, Julie, Connie, Cherie, Gerri, and everyone who comes to read, post, and nourish us with the spirit of faith. Thank You, Lord for the work You do through these your servants. In Jesus’ name I give You thanks.

Heart rehab and counseling today, very thankful for these.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 29, 2017, 5:48 am

Thanks Robert!

Now that i have to work early in the morning till evening, i can only take time to spend pray and read God’s word in the evening. I do not like to rush but if i can find some time to pray at lunch, i will as well as early in the morning.

Blessings to all!

Please pray for me, tomorrow, we are bringing the children for an outing to the museum and also after work, i have an interview.

Thank you for your prayers!

• robert moeller November 29, 2017, 5:56 am

A safe trip to the museum, and best wishes for a good interview. Prayers throughout the day on your long and busy day.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 29, 2017, 7:13 am

Thank you very very much Robert!

Blessings!

• Betsy November 29, 2017, 7:20 am

So glad to hear the news that you returned to the tennis courts, Jill. I know how much staying active is for you. I’ll continue praying for renewed strength and healing.
    Like many of you, my quiet time whether in the morning or evening is how I focus on prayer and time with God. Many years ago, I received a prayer stone at a retreat that i keep by my bedside. I often will hold that stone as I lift up those in need of prayer. Have not tried the prayer beads.
    I name many of you today, Robert, Andrea, Mary, Marcy and Jill in my prayers today.
    I ask that you take a minute to pray for my sister, Grace, who is having shoulder surgery this morning. You may remember that she lost her husband to cancer this past summer. Thank you.

• robert moeller November 29, 2017, 1:32 pm

Betsy, prayers for your sister Grace as she has shoulder surgery. The two of you have gone through a tough time.

Prayers for Julie’s hands, hope there is a way to minimize the sores cold weather brings.

Hope there is a positive result with Mary’s interview.

I echo Andrea’s prayer.
      “Prayers too for Connie and Connie’s husband, and for Lou and her children, for Louise, and for all whose names I have missed. Prayers too for UR staff and for the authors of the reflections.” What would we do without the UR staff and reflection writers?

Yes, our souls definitely meet in a spiritual dimension. The unseen is more important than the seen.

• robert moeller November 29, 2017, 1:36 pm

Thankful for positive first steps as a result of counseling. It has take a while to find a counselor who is really helpful. Have gotten something out of counseling in the past. I need a resolution.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 30, 2017, 6:42 am

Thanks Robert!

The person who interviewed me is not the boss. She needs to discuss my salary with the boss before she gets back to me.blessings!

• robert moeller November 30, 2017, 7:20 am

Mary, have been through this before, at least I sense a bit of progress as the salary is being discussed. Pray that this is the right position. There are a lot of important issues besides salary. May God grant you and the school wisdom to make the right decision.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Thanks Robert for your advice!

Blessings!

• Julie November 29, 2017, 8:09 am

Rest assured, each and everyone of your prayer requests are among the many I lift up daily to the Lord. I write them all in a prayer journal. I pray for each request until you update that each has been resolved. Many have never been updated. Lou, how are your children? Jobs and health issues were a few of their issues. There are many I lift up daily.
    I speak my prayers ou loud. This helps me focus and it feels as though I am speaking to friend. With the cold weather, the sores on my fingers have begun. Not too bad…yet.
    Oh, so many prayers and blessings to each of you. Prayers and fingers crossed for Mary during interview.

• Louise November 30, 2017, 3:09 am

Bless you Julie for your devoted prayers. Peace be with you!

• Andrea November 29, 2017, 8:27 am

The teen daughter of a friend makes beautiful bracelets and necklaces with varied colors of sturdy cord. She carefully spaces knots along the cord and puts a cross at one end and a loop at the other. Slipping the cross through the loop secures the bracelet/ necklace. (I think there is a metaphor there.) I have an orange knotted bracelet. The knots are like beads so I will use it for praying.

I echo Robert, it is a blessing to come here to pray and converse with one another. Although we do not meet face to face, I believe our souls connect in a spiritual dimension.

Jill, it is good to hear you enjoyed your tennis game; my prayers for continued gains in your health and your parents’ health as well. Robert, for your heart rehab and counseling, and for Erich. Mary, for your school field trip and your interview. Betsy, for your sister Grace’s surgery. And continued prayers for strength and courage for Marcy and Julie. Prayers for Rusty and K too this holiday season – miss Rusty’s presence here but know that sometimes it is hard to put down words in difficult times.

Awakened in the middle of the night and did not go back to sleep. Finally got up and worked on a quilt in progress – which I have been doing many nights in the wee hours since returning from Sri Lanka.

“Fear not, for I am with you.” Such powerful words.

• Andrea November 29, 2017, 8:33 am

May God give you all guidance, strength and joy throughout the holiday season.

• Marcy November 29, 2017, 4:19 pm

I pray each morning to God and for others on my intercessory prayer list, read and pray the devotionals and Scriptures as I work my way through the Bible in a year. I speak the devotionals and Bible reading out loud as the words anchor themselves in my mind, heart, soul and body. And of course, the community among us here in the UR family, praying and thinking of each other daily.

Another very long and hard time reading and posting today as I agonize through the migraine that hit last night. So no speaking out loud, and very limited reading at present. Will not be deterred, even if it takes hours to read and respond to my wonderful friends, who are family indeed to me here. I pray through the pain, a little at a time. Please bear with me as I search for words. Thank you, Almighty God, for your strength and Love.

Jill, I’m praying for your body not to be any more achey than it would be after a period of time with less exercise. I pray that your Mom’s lab results help pinpoint the issue and be healed. Also praying for your Dad’s upcoming second surgery, to be successful, without any complications of loss of feeling in his face.

Robert, I continue to pray especially hard for you as you negotiate this troubling time. I notice a difference in your posts lately, that you may be struggling in some ways. If I’m wrong, I do apologize, but if not, I want to encourage you in the strong faith you have shown me and everyone here. I notice also the comfort and renewal you get from God our Father at your church and the activities there. I’m struggling myself, so I may be out of line as I said. May the love and peace of the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit envelope you and be dwelling within you. Thankful you are receiving the heart rehab and counseling and that they bring you blessings.

Betsy, I am praying for your sister, Grace as she underwent surgery this morning on her shoulder for success and healing during the time to come. Also praying for comfort for her in the loss of her husband from our Father in heaven.

Mary, praying for that interview to go exceedingly well! God will walk with you and the children tomorrow, I pray, keeping you all safe as you visit the museum.

Julie, I am praying, that with the return of cold weather, and the sores on your fingers that result, that you will feel the support of our Triune God and the members of this UR family. So thankful for your witness, that encourages others here.

Andrea, may this insomnia end and allow you nights of full rest. I pray God will return your body clock to normal and stay that way. Thank you for your positive thoughts and comments. I pray with you for Connie and her husband, Lou and her children and all others.

I continue to lift all who visit here at the UR family and beyond, in intercessory prayer, some needs I know, but also prayers for unspoken needs. Thank you, Lord, for allowing me pray today at all. Please heal us, Lord, mentally, emotionally, physically and spiritually. Let us feel your love and joy, also, Lord and count the blessings You place in our lives.

Thank you, Robert, Betsy and Andrea, for speaking my name in your prayers today as I struggle through this pain, dizziness, sensitivity to light, sound, typing with one eye closed with the blurriness and even the the pillow under my head and the towel over by eyes, bringing pain. Thankful to all those praying for me. I am in great need. Thank you, God, for this loving UR family and leading me here.

Two hours! A miracle, nonetheless! Don’t care how long it takes to show my love for God and Jesus and each one of you! Just glad my faith isn’t stop and go as this post has been!

And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is LOVE!

• Andrea November 29, 2017, 7:13 pm

Marcy, I pray for the alleviation of the migraine you are suffering from. Gracious loving God, may the pain that Your beloved Marcy experiences be relieved by Your healing power, if it be Your will. In Jesus’ name I pray.

• robert moeller November 30, 2017, 12:26 am

Prayers for you Marcy, that this migraine is soon over. Bless you for writing through it. God most certainly empowers you to write such encompassing posts. You support, encourage all of us with your messages.

Yes, I’m struggling a bit, but thankful for support here from the UR family, help and good progress at heart rehab, and yesterday’s counseling session. I have homework from my counseling session that should start to help me and my son. It will be work, but very necessary work that will help restore, rebuild, and correct. It’s long overdue and very much needed. Thank You, Lord. When we are weak, You, Lord, are strong.

Prayers for Jill’s Mom and Dad with health concerns. May they lean on Your presence Lord. Prayers for Betsy, her sister , Grace, and the family of Grace’s husband. Your comfort and healing are needed Lord. Prayers for Mary’s Mum, Dad, sister, students, and the search for a new teaching position.
      Thankful for Andrea’s mission trip to Sri Lanka, Lord help her readjust to her home time zone and have a restful sleep. Lord, may Julie’s hands be comforted and find relief as the weather becomes colder. So thankful for her witness and support. Please notice dear UR family how God is working through us, especially those with deeper concerns. Posts, abundantly helpful ones, are written and shared by those who feel they have less to contribute. Lord, because of You, we all benefit. Thank You, Lord.

• Louise November 30, 2017, 3:06 am

Marcy…God bless you. He is with you…He sees and hears you. You are very special. I pray that God’s peace engulfs you that He takes away your pain.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 30, 2017, 6:43 am

Thanks Marcy for praying for us!

Blessings!