Prepare

IN THE SEASON of Advent, we are called to share the hope that we have in Christ with a hope-famished world. …

Prepare your heart to be open to this season before you, a season full of sights and sounds and needs. Commit to setting aside a brief time every day to read [a] scripture and meditation for the day. Pause and breathe. God is near.

Light of Lights

From page 9 of Light of Lights: Advent Devotions from The Upper Room Daily Devotional Guide, compiled and edited by Robin Pippin. Copyright © 2014 by Upper Room Books. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What spiritual practice will you observe during Advent? Share your thoughts.

Truly I tell you, this generation will not pass away until all these things have taken place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away.
Mark 13:30-31, NRSV

This Week: pray for hope. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Dorothy Day (November 29).

• Jill December 2, 2017, 5:07 am

I did not purchase a new Advent devotional for this year. I may need to dig in my bookcase and use an old one.
    Connie – praying that Our Father will draw near to you, sustain you, breathe that “second wind” into you.
    Mary – I hope you can relax ahead of your interview on Monday. May God grant you confidence.
    Andrea – be gentle with your knee and allow yourself time to heal. Glad it wasn’t worse.
    Father – help each of us to prepare our hearts as we anticipate celebrating Jesus’ coming…in Bethlehem and again to take us home. Yes, home – we are only visitors here.
    Grateful for an extended night of sleep – so good to be refreshed this morning. A busy weekend ahead – full of good activities. So hoping mom goes to the craft show this morning.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 2, 2017, 9:28 pm

Thanks so much Jill! I managed to swap my annual leave so i should be ok and also yesterday a church friend wanted to meet me for lunch on Monday so i should have another fruitful and happy day,

Blessings!

• robert moeller December 2, 2017, 5:21 am

“Commit to setting aside a brief time every day to read [a] scripture and meditation for the day. Pause and breathe. God is near. ” My day begins with this and so Advent will as well. Thankful for a Bible study at church on angels, but also hope to do an Advent study. Yes, pause, breathe, God is near. We are alive because of God.

So thankful for all the support from the UR family through November, it is very encouraging. Off to a good start to December, Advent begins tomorrow.

Prayers for each of you, poster, reader or visitor, and the concerns you raise, share, express. I believe in the power of prayer and you are lifted up. Healing, respite, relief for Marcy, Julie, Andrea, Jill and her parents, Mary’s Mum and Dad, Grace, K, and Lou. Peace, reconciliation, resolution for Betsy and Grace, Lou and her children, Rusty and K, and Connie. Good tidings to all as we await the coming of our Lord, the best Good News there is.

Have a wonderful weekend and a blessed first Sunday in Advent.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 2, 2017, 10:26 pm

Thanks so much, Robert!

Blessings!

• Louise December 2, 2017, 5:28 am

During Advent I attend mass everyday. I read God’s word daily all throughout the year so during Advent I read and then attend mass before I go to work. I am so very thankful and blessed to have the deep faith that I have. It is my faith that guides me through everyday and through life’s ups and downs. I love…”Pause and breathe. God is near.” What a wonderful feeling to know that God is always with us…all we have to do is be aware of his presence. I pray for all of you here at UR that you will find answers to all of your prayers. You are a unique and beautiful group. May you feel God’s peace, love, and strength as you go through your days. I pray for all that struggle mentally, physically, and spiritually. Help me God to be the best version of myself that I can be so that I can do the work that you need me to do. Peace to all.

• robert moeller December 2, 2017, 6:07 am

Thankful for your posts here Louise, the Lord is with you. Have a blessed day.

• Lou December 2, 2017, 5:55 am

Ever since my children were little we have had an Advent practice of lighting our advent wreath each day and everyone participates in a reading and prayer for the day. I have continued that with my children as they have come and gone from college and as our family unit has changed. The Advent wreath and the nativity are the first Christmas decorations that are set up. Sometimes they have grumbled at the time it takes but they know it is important to me and I think it has become important to them also. On my own I usually purchase a new devotional each year that I start my day with and my Sunday school class is also reading “Watch for the light” by Blumhardt. The advent season gives me hope – that God loved us so much that he sent his Son to save us. We are not alone. We are never alone – even in our pain, confusion, and sadness. We are never alone. Thank you Lord.
    Blessings, hope, comfort and peace to all
    who come here today.

• robert moeller December 2, 2017, 6:04 am

Lou, very inspiring words and activities. My nativity scene comes out tomorrow. Yes, God most certainly is seeing you through the changes in your life, just as God is with all of us who lean.

• Betsy December 2, 2017, 7:54 am

The decorations are coming out, the tree being prepared. (Robert , my nativity is also coming out). What a special time of anticipation. I will commit to an Advent scripture, along with my posts and devotions here during this season. Last year, i discoverered a website that posted a brief Advent scripture and devotion daily. I plan on returning to that if I can find it! Thank you, Lou, for the Advent title you mentioned. I will look into that also.
    Our Sunday School class will also be sharing a new Adam Hamilton book in class this season. So many ways to hear and share the birth story this season. It takes on new and different meaning each year. Lord, be with us all at this time of year as we remember the miracle of the Birth of Jesus. Keep us in the spirit in all we say and do. Emmanuel, God with us. Amen

• Julie December 2, 2017, 8:18 am

So many wonderful traditions shared here. My “husband” controls the decorations so I have no access to my nativity. It is exactly like the one we had when I was a child and I love it. I still “attend ” church by watching the one I found on TV. Would like to try to get there next summer.
    I have, and will continue to, lift each of your concerns up to the Lord during my prayer time. I feel close to you and to Him as I pray in detail regarding each of you my friends.
    Blessing and good tidings to all who visit this family

• Connie December 2, 2017, 8:35 am

When my children were little, we had an Advent Calendar. They would kneel down each day and take turns opening a window. I can still remember that “someone” couldn’t resist opening Dec. 25th and there was the Nativity Scene! A great memory that I will share with you, a blessing from God.
    Jill, thank you, I really believe I DID get that second wind the last couple of days!
    Bless you all as we enter into this Holy Season together, with Christ.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 2, 2017, 9:20 pm

For me, i usually do something for the poor reflecting God’s love. This year, i am going to bring two childten and their aunt to a restaurant for a meal.

Blessings to all!

May we experience more of God’s love and power in our lives each day!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 4, 2017, 2:13 am

Praise God for a new job!

Thanks everyone for your prayers!

• robert moeller December 4, 2017, 4:27 am

Yes, Mary, praise and thanks to God! Prayers that your new job goes well. There are many teachers and retired teachers here at the UR, I’m sure we all understand your position. Thanks for sending the good news.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 4, 2017, 7:37 am

Thanks so much Robert!

I know i can always count on you for prayers!

You are indeed a prayer warrior!

Praise God!

Blessings!

• robert moeller December 4, 2017, 9:54 am

You are welcome Mary, many blessings to you for all you do.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 4, 2017, 1:28 pm

Thanks Robert!

Blessings and may you have good health!