Carry a Little Quiet

CARRY A LITTLE QUIET inside you
while the world continues
in rush and rage
fighting and frenzy.

Carry a little quiet inside you
so that the worry and war
trouble and tumult
do not capture you in their grip.

Tarry in the Son-filled meadow of the heart
beside the still waters
where God’s Spirit refreshes and renews.

Carry so much quiet inside you
that you have some extra calm
to share with me.

– Safiyah Fosua
The Africana Worship Book: Year A

From page 37 of The Africana Worship Book: Year A, edited by Valerie Bridgeman Davis and Safiyah Fosua. Copyright © 2006 by Discipleship Resources. All rights reserved. Used by permission. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

But do not ignore this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like one day.
2 Peter 3:8, NRSV

This Week: pray for peace. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Dorothy Day (December 6).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 9, 2017, 1:18 am

Indeed, it is giid to have a quiet moment or time just sitting at the neighbourhood park talking tio God and enjoying His creation,

Blessings to all!

Have a wonderful weekend!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 9, 2017, 1:20 am

I mean it is good. Sorry for the typo error.

• robert moeller December 9, 2017, 4:22 am

So glad when the refection comes before it’s time to get up and I can start my day with it. This is a very wonderful thought, carrying some quiet time to share with someone else. Quiet Time is very precious. A conscious effort on our part to connect with God who is ever present, ever ready for us. Thank You. Lord. That we can carry quiet time to share is also a gift from God. Christ and the Holy Spirit in us enable this activity.

Help me to be the Quiet Time for my son as he takes his cat to the vet today with a fearful heart. A growth on the cat’s abdomen has him worried. Thankful this visit is possible.

Prayers, continual prayers, for the concerns expressed by the UR family. Know that God is with you. Thankful that God knows our needs, concerns, and is with us on our journey. With God there is always a way. Thank You, Lord.

• Marcy December 10, 2017, 9:36 am

Robert, I am keeping you and your family in my prayers. Please let us know how Erich’s cat is after the trip to the vet. I’m praying for his cat to have a good checkup and if there’s something going on, the he/she can be healed. Grateful for your example, all always.

• Jill December 9, 2017, 5:04 am

“The Son-filled meadow of the heart” – I love this. My meadow is so calm – such a blessing.
    Grateful for a good week at school, much accomplished. Grateful to be healthy, as there is a lot of respiratory stuff spreading through the school. It has hit the swim team particularly hard and I have many swimmers in my classes. When I wake up each morning and my throat and nose are clear – I am so grateful. Two more weeks of school – and then winter break. Good activities fill today and tomorrow – grateful for health and energy to enjoy them.

• Andrea December 9, 2017, 7:10 am

I remember this reflection from the past, and I printed it off. It is quieting to read it. I have resumed my meditation practice, twenty minutes in the evening before going to bed; plus my breathing exercises throughout the day, which are a bit like meditation, and my lectio divine when I walk and when I am in bed at night. The dark season is beautiful but can be a challenge and I approach it with a full rooting in prayer and meditation.

I ask for prayers for Walter, the husband of a dear friend from childhood who I reconnected with at my fiftieth high school reunion. Walter’s heart has been in an abnormal rhythm for a year and cardiologist is trying to get it to settle down and stay in a normal rhythm.

May peace dwell in and warm the hearts of all who visit UR today.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 9, 2017, 7:34 pm

Andrea, i am keeping Walter in prayer.

Blessings!

• Marcy December 10, 2017, 9:32 am

Andrea, I am praying for your childhood friend’s husband, Walter. I pray that God will lead his cardiologist to find the proper treatment to stabilize Walter’s heart rythym. Also, I continue to keep you and your husband, Lowell in my prayers.

• Julie December 9, 2017, 7:28 am

This is a very soothing reflection. I needed this today. Much turmoil in my heart and mush worry. I know we as Christians should not worry, but it is hard when you fear you may end up homeless and destitiute.
    Andrea, I will pray for Walter and your friend.
    Prayers for al the concerns shared and not shared here.
    Blessings friends

• Andrea December 9, 2017, 2:52 pm

Julie, I pray you will be secure in your home. I pray for your well-being, support, and guidance. Bless you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 9, 2017, 7:33 pm

Julie, i am keeping you in prayer.

God is our provider!

Blessings!

• Marcy December 10, 2017, 9:42 am

Julie, I am lifting you up in prayer as you are concerned about the future. Many, many times, theses thoughts kept me from leaving my abusive marriage. I probably would still be there, if God’s timing hadn’t intervened. I pray for you, most fervently, remembering how much I needed prayers at that time of my life. Bless you, Julie, for your brave witness.

• Cherie December 9, 2017, 7:55 am

Julie, I am praying for you. I have been there before. I pray you will be calmed by the thought of Jesus’ arms around you and loving you. Whatever you go through He is there. I have been homeless before and eventually Hope and Light began again. Please know you are a daughter of a King! Love to you, sister!

• Louise December 9, 2017, 8:10 pm

Quiet is good. Peace to all!

• robert moeller December 10, 2017, 3:43 am

Thankful Jill is healthy and able to enjoy activities and teach. Prayers for ill swimmers at her school. Andrea, her childhood friend, Walter, and Lowell, are in my prayers. Sound sleep, the joy of meeting again, and healing are lifted up. Thankful for Julie’s posts, prayers that you, Julie, are safe. The Lord most certainly is with you. Prayers too for Cherie, Louise, and Mary, thankful for your encouragement of others. It’s truly a blessing to know and share concerns and lift them up to the Lord.

Thankful that Anneliese is warm and has what she needs during the snow storm, I pray for peace, safety, and quiet upstairs where alcohol causes a lot of commotion after work. A diabetic with recent successful open heart surgery, Joe turns to alcohol and becomes dangerous to himself and others.

The vet will see Erich’s cat Monday afternoon. Thankfully she is eating, playing, sleeping quite normally and does not seem to be in any pain.

Church today, caroling this afternoon, thankful for the blessings God sends.
    May this second Sunday in Advent be a blessing to all of you. Thankful I will see my sister before Christmas. Will fly to see my daughter and grandchildren.

• Marcy December 10, 2017, 9:53 am

Robert, also praying about the situation upstairs concerning the alcoholic neighbor. My brother-in-law and father-in-law were also alcoholics and I had to live with them, as they were my husband’s family and he called the shots. I pray for peace for you, I know how the noise and the apprehension can affect one’s peace of mind.

So thankful, Robert, that you are going to be seeing family and celebrating with them. Hope you have a wonderful time!