The Unfolding of God’s Promise

OFTEN I STAND on the edge of the light, afraid to believe, afraid to act, afraid that this story is too good to be true. But then in my better moments, when I listen closely to the story, move closer to the light, my fears seem to evaporate like an early morning mist, and I can believe again. I can believe that God who made all that is became clothed in our human flesh so that we might become clothed in God. I can believe that God claims me as a beloved child. I can believe that my days are in God’s strong and tender hands. I can believe that life is good, beautiful, and eternal. I can believe that not only my days but all days are in God’s good and able hands. I can believe, rejoice, and wait trustingly and expectantly for the unfolding of God’s promise given so many ways and most clearly in the Advent story. Thanks be to God!
—Rueben P. Job

– Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job
A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God

From p. 24 of A Guide to Prayer for All Who Seek God, by Norman Shawchuck and Rueben P. Job Copyright © 2003 by the authors. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

In this season of Advent, look for how God’s promise is unfolding around you. Share your thoughts.

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, NRSV

This Week: pray for joy. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Thomas Merton (December 10).

• Louise December 15, 2017, 3:17 am

Today’s reading makes me think about Proverbs 19:21 “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.” God’s promise unfolds around me daily with new mysteries of His love. God has taught me to be content in times of plenty and in times of want. God is ever present and in control. I walk with God and trust him to guide me on the path that He has paved for me. I know that He has a purpose and service for me. I read scripture daily to keep myself on that path that He has created for me. I listen for God’s voice to guide me and I see him in the eyes of His people. God’s promise to me is… “If I follow Him and allow Him to guide me to do the work that He wants me to do here on earth then I will live with him for ever and always.” God bless all who come to UR to share the ways that God is leading you through your life. We all were created for a purpose and we just need to walk with God and trust Him. I pray that you will feel God’s peace.

• Julie December 15, 2017, 8:06 am

Oh Louise, your words are beautiful. Your faith is an inspiration and a model for others seeking to develop such a rich and all encompassing trust in our Lord. May He bless you and keep you within His loving arms. Thank you for your example of Christian love and faith and thnk you for your prayers. Are you still caring for your aunt?
    Thank you to all who post such powerful words of faith day after day. I have learned to trust God as I read daily your testimonies and I reflect on my life. I have come to realize that I have endured some episodes in my life because He has encircled me in His loving and protective arms. It has become clear that His is a love that encompasses us all and endures with us all of life’s trials.
    Prayers for each of you today and welcome to the new posters. Thank you, Mary, for sharing where you live. It helps me feel a deeper coneection with each of you when I know where you live and I feel Ican pray more effectively. It provides some framework I guess.
    Blessings to all as we wait for the new child once again

• Louise December 16, 2017, 5:12 am

Julie thank you for your kind words and asking about my aunt. My cousins and I take turns in caring for her. Dementia is such a horrible disease. Thank God for faith, patience, compassion, love, and understanding. Bless you and may God’s peace be with you.

• Connie December 15, 2017, 8:34 am

‘Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow. Blessings all mine with ten thousand beside”

• Andrea December 15, 2017, 8:49 am

“Move closer to the light….” I will ponder these words today.

Blessings, all.

• robert moeller December 15, 2017, 11:31 am

God keeps me going, a walk on a clear sunny, but frigid day, the car starting so I can go to heart rehab, a good session there, a class on meds, mail sent, bread for meals, a healing cat after surgery, a call from my counselor. All it takes is a few short minutes and the list of blessings expands.

Very thankful to be back at the UR. I don’t like not being able to find it or not having it arrive. Those events do teach me how important the UR is.

Yes, Mary, Singapore is a harmonious city/country.

Thankful for all of you, praying for your concerns, grateful for everyone who comes here and is nourished. The unseen food God provides is the ultimate sustenance. Thank You, Lord.

• Andrea December 15, 2017, 12:26 pm

Robert, and all….I read the UR Daily Reflections and make comments from their web site page. It has always worked for me (except when the web site is down for some reason).

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 16, 2017, 4:43 am

Thank you God for blessing Robert a fruitful day!

Blessings!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 15, 2017, 12:42 pm

Celebrated Christmas today with my family cause some members of the family will be away on the 25th. Grateful for the fellowship.

Thank you God for the gift of your son, Jesus Christ. We are grateful for the joy, peace and love experienced.

May all have a joyous Christmas!

• Marcy December 15, 2017, 2:19 pm

I sure don’t have to look far to see how God’s promise is unfolding around me. Right here, among all of my Christian siblings in our blessed UR family, is my Advent Hope, Peace and Joy. No matter what trials or joys lay ahead, God, our Father, and His one and only Son, Jesus Christ our Savior and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit will see us through. I listened to a Christmas version of the song “Hallelujah,” about the Christ Child’s birth in the lyrics, and something gave way inside, and I was crying, moved beyond words. No matter any outcome, I am looking forward to the day I go Home!
    Meanwhile, I will continue to pray intercessory prayers every day.

Thank you, all for these comments: Louise, for your post about having a God-given purpose. Julie, for your post about God having His arms around us, providing endurance. Connie, for the quote you provided about strength and hope. Andrea, yes, “moving toward the light” and reflecting on that. Robert, for posting about “unseen food providing sustenance from God”(so good to hear how well things are going, and Isis being in recovery). Mary, for posting about your “early Christmas” with your family members, such a precious blessing that is!

I remain forever grateful for the support from this UR family and have come to see you as distant relatives in the family of Christ. I am thankful for your prayers, well-wishes, example and inspiration. I am in continuous prayer for each of you and your families and friends (and pets too), that the LORD watches over you all, keeping you safe and well. I pray for all who are in need of healing; physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually here in the UR family and beyond, posting or reading. Praises for all celebrating our Almighty God in song and dance, like King David, and the Christ Child’s birth, like the angels, shepherds and eventually, all the believers who Jesus saved.

Praying for Advent Joy to engulf our world in Hope and Peace and reconciliation. May God heal all divisions and place empathy and wisdom in the hearts and minds of our nation’s leaders and the leaders of nations around the world. I know it’s a big “Ask,” God, but nothing is impossible for You.

I pray for the LORD to see me through until the insurance approves the further testing to diagnose what’s happening to me, that I won’t have to call an ambulance. God, I completely give it all to You.

And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is LOVE! God’s all-encompassing LOVE to all today and every day.

• Marcy December 15, 2017, 4:42 pm

Sorry, not really distant relatives at all, but my close Christian siblings. Sometimes, I have trouble putting things in the words I mean! Blessings!

• Louise December 16, 2017, 5:17 am

Marcy you are such a blessing. Your deep faith in God is such a beautiful example for all. Your devotion to Him and your purpose and service is so very special. I pray that God touches you with His peace.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 16, 2017, 4:45 am

Marcy, praying that you will have a good Christmas!

Blessings!