Make Room

O MANGER,
straw-strewn cradle in the night,
rough-hewn, muzzle-dampened space
where cattle feed, sparrows nest,
and cloth snags on splintered wood.
O simple feed trough
for God’s lowly beasts,
you are first bearer of Good News;
first container of Living Water, Bread of Life.
Come, clear out with a gust of father’s breath
and mother’s trembling touch;
make room to behold the promise of God.
Amen.

– Pamela C. Hawkins
Behold!

From page 97 of Behold! Cultivating Attentiveness in the Season of Advent by Pamela C. Hawkins. Copyright © 2011 by Pamela C. Hawkins. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.

For as the earth brings forth its shoots, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to spring up, so the Lord GOD will cause righteousness and praise to spring up before all the nations.
Isaiah 61:11, NRSV

This Week: pray for those who are working more than one job. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Stephen (December 26).

• Jill December 26, 2017, 5:01 am

Thankful for time with family yesterday. Mom and dad seemed to enjoy themselves – so grateful they were able to enjoy time with the family.
    Lots of tasks to accomplish today, as I will be heading out of town for a bit. My best friend and her mother insist that I take this time away, even though the calling hours and funeral will be Wednesday and Thursday. I am grateful for their insistence on this, and trust that they are speaking the truth, as always. They want me to get a change of pace.

• Julie December 26, 2017, 5:41 am

Prayers for safe travels, Jill.
    Prayers for Mary’s dad and helpers mom.
    Traveling home today, so please pray for me and my daughter.
    Also, knee still weak and won’t support weight when I first stand up.
    Prayers would be greatly appreciated.
    Blessings and prayers to all UR community and especially new posters.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 26, 2017, 10:44 am

Thanks so much Julie for your prayers!

Blessings

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 26, 2017, 12:19 pm

Julie, praying that your knees will be strong.

• Andrea December 26, 2017, 7:25 am

Jill, so good you are able to get away for some respite. Smi pray for safe travels for both you and Julie. Julie, I pray for your knee. Is it time to see a doctor, to assist it to heal properly?

Thank you so much, all of you, for your prayers for my daughter and for my husband and me. He is better. Robert, what you said, how we as parents suffer for love, as Jesus suffered for us, was just what I needed to hear. We had a wonderful Christmas Day together.

I would appreciate your continued prayers for my daughter and son- in- law, especially for their guidance as parents to a very bright and sweet little 2 1/2 year old. I have some concerns about my daughter’s strange parenting ideas yet I know it is best to keep my mouth shut. I see how much they love my grandson and how he knows he is loved.

I am thankful for a blessed Christmas. I have checked in frequently at UR to read all of your comments and I am grateful for each one of you. May God bless each of you with love, peace and healing today, the second day of Christmas.

• Andrea December 26, 2017, 7:31 am

Typo correction: I pray for safe travel for Jill and Julie… and for all who are traveling today.

• Julie December 26, 2017, 5:41 pm

Will pray for your daughter and grandson, Andrea.
    Went to doctor. Just a sprained ligament. Not bad, can just use a brace I had. Thank you for your prayers and concern.

• Andrea December 26, 2017, 10:37 pm

Thank you, Julie. Blessings.

• Marcy December 26, 2017, 6:59 pm

Praying for remembrance, for reasons for the season, still praying for each of you, loving, caring UR family.

Jill, prayers for your time off, and praying for your parents, thankful for your family coming together – Julie, pray you enjoyed your family visit, keeping you in prayer for your knee – Andrea, thank you for your prayers, praying for your daughter and son-in-law and grandson, may God lead them in the direction of His love, prayers for your dear husband, Lowell, and all of your family. You are a very important encourager to myself and others – Mary, prayers for your Dad’s surgery and recovery and your helper’s Mom. I’ve been praying for you, only sorry couldn’t tell you earlier with my own issues, you are handling everything through God’s Love – Robert, thank you, as always for sharing your experience and wisdom with us all. I am happy for you and your family coming together through God’s Mighty Love, I so appreciate your words, thoughts and prayers. We all do – Chloe, I’m continuing to hold you and Paige in prayer, with all of God’s Love, Hope, Peace and Joy – I continue to pray for each and everyone of you and am grateful to be a part of the UR family and thankful to our Father, God in heaven daily for leading me here. Thank you, each of you, for keeping me in prayer. My Love, gratitude and prayers to each of you reading or posting.

I am staying out of the woods with the pneumonia, but they are watching because of amount of fluids in my lungs. Also, had a echo cardiogram done today because of some indication of issues. Neurolgist also in today, and army of specialists. I am apprehensive and fearful that I live alone, but I am also believing without fail in God our Almighty Father, His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, our Savior, who he sent into the world in pure Love through the Christ Child’s birth. O how I love my Father and Christ and the feelings of God’s inclusiveness made possible by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Thank you to, my wonderful nurse, Claire, for typing my post today. God bless her, LORD, and keep her safe and well.

And these three remain: Faith, Hope and Love, and the greatest of these is LOVE! I’m overwhelmed with God’s LOVE!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 26, 2017, 10:45 pm

Thanks so much Marcy. Very tired but I try to catch up with the comments here.

Wishing you a joyous new year ahead

• Marcy December 26, 2017, 8:39 pm

I am so reluctant to be going on about these health problems. I am ashamed. Please forgive me, my wonderful UR family, all of you deserve the blessings you have in store for you. Love you.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling December 26, 2017, 10:47 pm

I know how you feel but it is important that you share so we know how to pray for you.

May God strengthen and heal you

Blessings

• Andrea December 26, 2017, 9:56 pm

Marcy, please do not be ashamed. There is nothing to be ashamed of. You are tired in your illness. There is a grace in how you are being open; and it helps us to know how to pray for you. I think you are doing exactly what God wants from us, bringing your authentic self into your praying and into your asking for prayers. Did not Jesus say we should be like children? Children are so open. Thank you for your prayers, I value the knowledge that you are praying for me. I am so glad to see your post today. Praying for you to gain strength and heal, my friend.