A Banquet of Sweet Things

GOD’S WORD is sweet. God’s law, God’s commandments,
God’s words not only seem sweet but create
sweetness. They sweeten everything they touch. In this
unique way of thinking about our relationship with God,
God delights in providing a banquet of sweet things for us.
God invites all who are hungry and thirsty—all who seek
mercy and salvation—to come, to drink, and to eat. God
offers us the most nourishing food imaginable and shares
the sweetness of Christ’s mercy with us all.

—Paul Wesley Chilcote, A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit (Upper Room Books, 2008)

When have you tasted the sweetness of Christ’s mercy?  Share your thoughts.

“How sweet are your words to my taste,
sweeter than honey to my mouth!”
—Psalm 119:103 (NRSV)

Prayer for the Week

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might. Heaven and earth are full of your glory. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room .

Something More

Blue Christmas: Devotions of Light in a Season of Darkness, an Advent devotional book by Todd Outcalt, reminds us that even in our darkest times, God offers us hope and comfort if we are willing to bring our deepest fears into the light of God’s love. Discover more.

Looking for lectionary-based resources? Learn more about The Upper Room Disciplines.

Sponsored by The Upper Room. Copyright © 2019 | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Bj November 5, 2019, 6:39 am

Good morning, UR family! May the Lord bless you and keep you, and lead you on through this day. “O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him” Psalm 34:8. I experiences the sweetness of God’s love and mercy with this UR group daily. Again, I may not post often, but my prayers are continually with you all. The daily reflections are with me always. Lord, thank You for all of your blessings that You bestow upon me. Thank You, for the blessings that You bestow upon me in the past, the present, and Lord, my future is in Your hands. Psalm 145:8-9 says, “The LORD is gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, and of great mercy. The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.” (KJV) Scripture Readings May all of you have a blessed day. Julie, I pray your new meds/equip’ are responding slowly, but surely.

• Bj November 5, 2019, 6:44 am

HAPPY BIRTHAY, HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to all celebrating in November! May the Light of Jesus shine through you on your day and always.

• Julie November 5, 2019, 8:32 am

I, like BJ, experience God’s sweetness every day through this group. I experienced it in my childhood with my grandparents.
    Please pray for Chai as he is having urinary tract issues. The emergency vet believes he either has FUS or his urethra is enflamed. FUS can be deadly, he is on medication. I recieve God’s sweetness every day through His gift of my 2 kitties. They shine brightly for me.
    Prayers for BJ and I echo her birthday wishes for all UR family members having November birthdays.
    Prayers for Erich as he begins his new job. Prayers for Robert and his continued success in his railroad reconstruction project.
    Prayers for Larry and may his health improve. Prayers for Jill as she sits in numerous meetings today, may she not be exhausted by them.
    Prayers for Mary and her light and sweetness which shine and sweeten her words.
    Prayers for Andrea, may she be safe as she travels to care for her grandson and may she accept her aging body.
    Prayers for April, Betsy, Connie, Lou and Marcy.
    Prayers and thank you wonderful UR fellow faithful

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 5, 2019, 6:53 pm

Thank you Julie!

May God’s blessings and favor always be upon you!

I tasted the sweetness of Christ’s mercy yesterday when friends and family members showed concern and care for me. I’m suffering from an insect bite wound. Praise God doc said the wound is healing fast.

Blessings!

• Ally November 5, 2019, 10:19 am

Good morning all, I experience sweet mercy every day as I wake, even when I don’t recognize it. I thank God for the tender mercies he provides though my husband, my family and my precious kitties, Julie, I am praying for your Chai. My Jeremy also has this condition. I do not post often, but each day am encouraged by what God is doing in your lives. Be blessed today.

• Anonymous November 5, 2019, 12:53 pm

Good Morning UR brothers and sisters thankful and grateful for all of you this day. I experience Gods sweetness every day when I read the UR your comments and prayers and tenderness for all. Keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers and concerns.
    Blessings,
    Rick

• Robert Moeller November 5, 2019, 11:48 pm

Not sure I would describe God’s mercy as sweet. I prefer precious. It is a most amazing gift. Thank You, Lord.

Many thoughts whirling around in my head. They need to settle down. Prayers for guidance and direction. Thankful for the blessings of the day.
    A way forward will come.

• Jill November 6, 2019, 3:29 am

His mercy is immeasurable, and indeed, precious. The mercy He extended to mom as she did not suffer physical pain during her ordeal. The mercy He continues to extend to dad as he adjusts to his new normal, embracing time and new activities. His mercy to me as my healing and progress continues to unfold – in His timing.
    Was grateful to get out of meetings a little early yesterday and the sun was out – so I took a walk when I got home. Restless from sitting idle all day. The wind was a bit coolish, but grabbed a hat to cover my ears and it was good.
    I have an appointment with my rheumatologist today – been having some complications associated with my condition. Hopeful she will be able to prescribe some medication to assist.
    Julie – can you tell if your meds have kicked in yet? And – keep us up to date on Chai. Robert – praying for your unsettledness…may you receive wisdom and discernment from Our Father. Mary – I hope you recover quickly and well from the insect bite. Good to hear from others, sharing their thoughts and encouragement.

• Natasha Wanderly form USA November 8, 2019, 11:34 pm

dr unity love spell just fixed my relationship. We have been fighting every day and you’ve just fixed it and I cannot thank you enough..Thank you Dr Unity for saving my broken relationship and brought my boyfriend back to me. If you have any problem in marriage/relationship. contact him and i guarantee you that he will help you. Here’s his contact: Email him at: Unityspelltemple@ gmail. com