Glorify God

OUR LIVES GLORIFY God when we live in loving relationship with one another. Our lives glorify God when we offer hospitality to those who need our care and support. Our lives glorify God when we use the unique gifts that God has given to each of us, not to bring attention to ourselves but for healing, edifying, encouraging, and serving others.

—Paul Wesley Chilcote, A Life-Shaping Prayer: 52 Meditations in the Wesleyan Spirit (Upper Room Books, 2008)

How can your life glorify God today?  Share your thoughts.

“You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honor and power,
for you created all things,
and by your will they existed and were created.”

—Revelation 4:11 (NRSV)

Prayer for the Week

Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might. Heaven and earth are full of your glory. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room .

Something More

Blue Christmas: Devotions of Light in a Season of Darkness, an Advent devotional book by Todd Outcalt, reminds us that even in our darkest times, God offers us hope and comfort if we are willing to bring our deepest fears into the light of God’s love. Discover more.

Looking for lectionary-based resources? Learn more about The Upper Room Disciplines.

Sponsored by The Upper Room. Copyright © 2019 | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill November 9, 2019, 6:07 am

Yes, not for my glory, Father – but for Your’s alone. Might I be mindful of my selfish tendencies and surrender them again. Father – thank You for Your holy calling – continue to transform me, so my mindfulness will be more and more present, hearing and responding to the Spirit’s movement.
    The cold temperatures of the last day or so have caused so many leaves to fall. Wednesday there was a smattering of leaves in my back yard. Yesterday when I got home from school, my yard was blanketed with leaves. Something I will attend to at some point this weekend.
    May the assuredness and comfort of Our Father’s love be evident and abundant to each one who passes by here today.

• Michael Daddario November 9, 2019, 6:29 am

I live my life with the ultimate dream of possibly, one day, being granted the highest of privileges by being allowed in my Lord’s Almighty Presence as I wash His feet .

• Robert Moeller November 11, 2019, 1:54 am

Yes, Michael, this is the hope of every Christian. With faith and God’s grace we will meet God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit one day face to face.

• Robert Moeller November 9, 2019, 6:38 am

Try to do this every day. Thankfully I have been able.

Colder weather here, strong snow showers yesterday, ice on the deck, snow on the mountain tops, and thick frost on the car. Most of the leaves are down here at the condo, leaf cleanup has been done. Posts to mark the walkways and driveways are in place so snow plowing can occur.

Roof work almost done on the model and scheduled roof replacement the 25-26th. Beginning the track laying process on the layout, cork roadbed has arrived.

Yes, despite our efforts, our human traits and hinder us as we try to do God’s will. Prayers that we are empowered to press on and do what is asked.

Prayers for all who come to the UR, thankful for you. Thank You, Lord.

• Bj November 9, 2019, 6:57 am

Good morning, UR family! Praying that your day be filled with God’s presence of joy and peace. May the will of God lead you and guide you on this day. I Thessalonians 5:11 (KJV) reads, “Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” Help me Jesus, show me your way. Lord, fill me with your Holy Spirit to love others as You has loved me. Teach me Lord, how to treat my neighbors. Teach me Lord, how to treat my family and friends. Only God knows our hearts and our thoughts. Good day to all of you!

• Julie November 9, 2019, 8:12 am

I pray every day for God to give me the vision based on my heart acknowledging that each and every person is His child and created in His image. I pray for Him to strengthen me against the pull of the evil one who would have me blinded to the divine in everyone.
    Prayers for Jill and her leaf raking. We have had the same drastic weather change. It is difficult to adjust so quicky, perhaps the trees are also “shocked” and dropped their leaves in consternation!
    Prayers for Michael, when new people post it reminds me that so many more eyes see what I write than I know.
    Prayers for Robert and his many roofing projects. We had some snow yesterday and Thursday as well. Thankfully, the ground was to warm for any to stay.
    Prayers for BJ and thank you for your scripture sharing. They are always so pertinent to the reflection and also thought provoking.
    Prayers for Mary. I am thankful that you are home and I pray you continue to recuperate and have no lingering effects.
    Prayers and thank you UR

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 10, 2019, 9:25 am

Thank you Julie and amen to all your prayers!

In our lives, may God be glorified!