Humility

AS WITH REAL TREES, the tree of our soul requires two basic initial ingredients that are essential for its future: good soil and strong roots. However, we cannot grow strong roots without soil. …

What is good soil for the soul? With what do we fill this hole we’ve created? Generally good soil is made up of about 25 percent water and 25 percent air (made mostly of oxygen and nitrogen). The other half is made of stone, clay, and organic matter – decaying plant and animal life. We are not surprised to learn that soil is half air and water – things we know we need in order to live as much as trees do.

But what is the spiritual equivalent of good dirt? Answer: humility. Just as trees wither and die without good soil, our soul will not grow without humility. With that soil in place, roots can form in the earth, and as they grow deep and strong, the tree moves out of the ground and toward the light.

– Christopher Maricle
Deeply Rooted

From pages 45-46 of Deeply Rooted: Knowing Self, Growing in God by Christopher Maricle. Copyright © 2016 by Christopher Maricle. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. http://bookstore.upperroom.org/ Learn more about or purchase this book.

What does it mean to be humble? Share your thoughts.

Beloved, let us love one another, because love is from God; everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.

1 John 4:7, NRSV

This Week: pray increased faith. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section.

This week we remember: Anselm
(April 21).

Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2018 | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Jill April 26, 2018, 3:34 am

Humility is putting one’s concerns to the side while considering what is best for the other. Humility is accepting, even embracing one’s limitations while employing one’s strengths for the betterment of others. Humility is earnestly patterning one’s life after Christ and seeking the Spirit’s strength and wisdom to live it out…moment by moment. Humility is what I witness here on a consistent basis.
    I so appreciate your words of encouragement and ceaseless prayers. My heart swells. You are the fertilizer to my soil.

• Betsy April 26, 2018, 6:31 am

Your definition of humility is spot on, Jill. “Laying your own issues aside while focusing on what is best for others” is what Jesus would do in all situations. Praying for you and your family as your mom continues on this new path with doctors, treatments and hospitals. We all strive to put aside our stuff and focus on you and others in need of prayer.

• Lou April 26, 2018, 4:17 am

Prayers for you Jill- your faith will see you through. Prayers for your mom and dad and for your sister- these are hard times for all of you. I am sorry but your faith is so strong-
    Prayers for Robert and for his family especially Annalise. May God protect her-
    Prayers for Andrea and her daughter, for Julie- thankful some of your health issues are resolving- prayers for peace and joy for you. Prayers for Mary and her parents and the children she teaches – prayers for all who come here today looking for love support and Gods peace.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling April 26, 2018, 7:35 am

Thank you so much dear Lou for praying for all of us.

May all be well with you and your family

Blessings

• Julie April 26, 2018, 7:41 am

Yes, I add my prayers to those of others for Gloria, Jill, Larry, and Becky. I pray that in the future the chemo treatments are less stressful with fewer physical issues.
    Prayers for Betsy and her family and her neighbors. Prayers that the man’s heart issues resolve and prayers for strength for his wife.
    Lou, prayers for you as you pack and move. I pray this does not aggravate your back issues. Prayers for your relationship with your youngest daughter.
    Prayers and blessings for and a heartfelt thank you to all of the UR family. You are my spiritual mentors and I do indeed learn humility from you.
    The great man does not think beforehand of his words that they may be sincere, nor of his actions that they may be resloute – he simply speaks and does what is right.
    Mencius

• Connie April 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Humble to me means living simply and not thinking you are above ANYONE.
    The journey through life will humble us all at one time or another. This week I lost a close cousin (I have a small family), a good God-fearing man who was ready to go to Jesus. We never know “for whom the bell tolls….it tolls for thee”. May we stay close to God and never waver.

• Andrea April 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Deep condolences on the loss of your cousin, Connie.

Another aspect of humility is being aware of one’s reliance on God. God will help us through all challenges and all suffering. God hears our prayers and stays ever close, our source of strength, comfort, wisdom.

I am on a four day road trip across a couple states with three girlfriends. I am a passenger and pray for safe travels.

Blessings, all.

• robert moeller April 27, 2018, 3:50 am

Sent a post, got a note it was under moderation, won’t put links to other sites again.

Yes, deepest condolences to you Connie on the passing of your cousin.
    Prayers for Jill, her Mom, Dad, and Becky as treatment for Mom continues.
    Safe travels for Andrea.
    Thank you all for your posts on humility. I agree with them. I tried to send
    definitions I found helpful.
    Thank you for prayers for Anneliese, Erich, and me.
    Thankful Anneliese is doing better health wise. She will have to find a new pain management practice, he favorite pain management doctor has moved.
    A new and long anticipated tenant is coming May 1st.
    Thank You, Lord.