The Faith of My Friends

MY FRIEND AND his wife were worse than heartbroken at the time. He didn’t know how they would survive the death, but he told me how they lived through it. At the funeral, people said to him over and over, “Tom, you know your faith will get you through this.” He stopped for a moment, looked at me, and then said, “Roberta, it was not my faith that got me through it. It was the faith of my friends.”

I have never forgotten this generous sharing of his painful story at a time I needed to hear it, a time when I was not sure I could believe in much of anything positive. That I have been saved by the faith of my friends I have found to be true again when my hope, energy, and, yes, faith have failed me.

—Roberta C. Bondi, Wild Things: Poems of Grief and Love, Loss and Gratitude (Upper Room Books, 2014)

When have your friends helped you have faith?  Share your thoughts.

“Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”
—Hebrews 11:1 (NRSV)

Prayer for the Week

Creator God, As you draw us closer to you, draw us closer to each other. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room .

Something More

Who came up with the idea of using nativity scenes to celebrate Christmas? You might be surprised to learn that Francis of Assisi, the well-known 13th-century saint, is credited with creating the first nativity scene. The Living Nativity: Preparing for Christmas with Saint Francis introduces readers to Saint Francis and his joyous reenactment of the birth of Jesus, complete with a manger and animals. Discover more.

Looking for lectionary-based resources? Learn more about The Upper Room Disciplines.

Sponsored by The Upper Room. Copyright © 2019 | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA

• Robert Moeller November 11, 2019, 2:06 am

Right here at the UR friends have helped my faith with their prayers and posts. There are named and unknown friends here. Thank You, friends, through whom God has worked. Everything good comes from God and God uses us to do God’s will. Thank You, Lord.

• Robert Moeller November 11, 2019, 2:11 am

Remember veterans this day and always. All gave some, some gave all. To those of us who served and are alive, the real heroes are the ones who gave all.

• Jill November 11, 2019, 4:46 am

Robert – thank you for your service to this country. Freedom is a priceless gift whom many have suffered for. I know I take it for granted far too much. We are so blessed to live in this country.
    God places people in our lives to help us grow nearer to Him and to sustain us during the storms of life. My list continues to grow – another way He blesses me.
    Had a deep conversation with a person from my small group yesterday after church. She had sent me a beautiful card with a verse from Lamentations on it. It touched me deeply and was a crucial verse I leaned on earlier this year. I was able to share with her and spend some time in meaningful discussion.
    The lady with whom I usually sit at church lost her mother on Friday. She had lost her husband earlier this year. Calling hours are this afternoon. So much grief, so much loss.
    Come quickly, Lord Jesus.

• Robert Moeller November 11, 2019, 6:30 am

Thank you Jill. Prayers for your Dad, sister, and you. And now prayers for the lady with whom you sit in church.

Prayers for Marcy, Julie and Megan, Randy and K, Andrea and Lowell, Connie and her husband; Betsy and her husband, Lou, and Mary. Thankful for new posters and all who come here.

Snow expected today. Glad my snow tires are on.

• Julie November 11, 2019, 8:10 am

Thank you for your service, Robert. Though given the freedoms I enjoy, not least of which is the freedom of religion, thank you seems woefully inadequate. I agree, those who never came home of their own volition are the heroes that sacrificed the most as are their families. But your service is not to be diminished, all war is horrible to live through.
    I agree with Robert also as far as the friends I have on this site. You have buoyed me through rough patches of both faith and personal natures.
    Prayers for Robert and his preparedness for all contingencies, even weather.
    Prayers for Jill and Larry and the woman from church who has suffered so much loss recently. Today’s UR Devotional was from a man who lost his mother. It was quite moving.
    Prayers for Mary and her continued recovery.
    Prayers and thank you UR

• Pat Chaman November 11, 2019, 9:45 am

one month after my husband passes because of lung cancer, I spent 2+ weeks with my sister in KY. She & her church friends helped me soo much at this time. Just being a part of their church activities and faith help me.

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 11, 2019, 5:02 pm

When friends share their testimonies or pray togey, study the Bible together, my faith is increased.

Thank you all for joining me on my faith journey!

Blessings!

• Mary Ng Shwu Ling November 11, 2019, 6:30 pm

Pray together I mean

Sorry for the typo error